Addressing Vu+ duo 4K se BT edition with OpenBH 5.0 using HOSTNAME

jacsch

Vu+ Newbie
Hello

I bought a Vu+ 4K duo se BT edition.

I am perfectly satisfied by this receiver and could make work some additional applications and features like picon on USB stick, dreamboxedit. I have installed OpenBlackHole version 5.0.

Now, there is one last problem I can’t solve:

I have 2 PCs and I can address my receiver using the ip address: 192.168.0.27. BUT I cannot do the same by using the HOSTNAME: vuduo4kse. To be precise I can address by hostname on one of my PCs but not on the second one. Also I can’t ping vuduo4kse on this 2nd PC.

Both PCs run under Windows 10 professional edition. I can’t make out any difference between these 2 PCs' settings. I am aware that this is not a vital problem but it just drives me mad.

Any suggestions?

Mick12334

Have you tried contacting your receiver using the DCC, Dreambox Control Centre, which can search for everything connected to your network?

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
If you have FTP access in this 2nd PC, you don't even worry... but on this PC you can replace the network and see if it results.

jacsch

Vu+ Newbie
Have you tried contacting your receiver using the DCC, Dreambox Control Centre, which can search for everything connected to your network?
Thanks. I have tried DCC nice tool. It finds the ip of my Vu+ but cannot resolve the hostname

jacsch

Vu+ Newbie
If you have FTP access in this 2nd PC, you don't even worry... but on this PC you can replace the network and see if it results.
I don't worry, I know that everything works with the ip address and that the hostname is not needed. (though ip adresses are allocated dynamically and can change but hostnames are static).
It's just that I would like to understand why this bloody hostname is not known in my network on this PC.
But thanks anyway.

Check the network settings to make sure they are identical on both computers.
dns settings is also important. Some users set the ip to dynamic and dns to 8.8.8.8 for example.
That will not only create problems with local host names. But you also broadcast all your local traffic to google :dance:

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
As I wrote, you replenish the network on this PC... when you do this, you will ask to restart the PC and then you will have to put the passwd access to WiFi (if it is by wifi)... it may be enough there.

AlexWilMac

... ip adresses are allocated dynamically and can change but hostnames are static)....
Box IP addresses have no reason to be dynamically decided by the router: if you (as I've always done in my VU+ life) don't use the DHCP in the box, even without a serious router able to set a fixed IP for a specific device, you'll always have the same IP for your box.