Average files sizes for saved video

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Just wondering what size the video files are that most Images save. I know these vary depending on bit rate etc but what is 'average' for normal channels.

As an example my current box copies from Linux to Mpeg-2.ts format from BBC1 and the files are generally 2GB for an 90 minute SD recording. I haven't done any HD as yet.
I assume the transmission rate will give the same size regardless of the box or software that processes them ?

I ask as it affects HDD sizes but mainly as I keep all movies on external HDD now (backed up just in case) as a lot less space than hundreds of DVDs. I have software than can recode/shrink files but 2GB for 90 mins is fine and a pain to have to re-process everything.

Do U mean the STB internal memory....!!!!
To record and save any movies or programs U need internal HDD!
And nothing to do with the image!

Internal memory or HDD (don't know what !!!! means). You use a lot of !!!!s have I done something to upset you ? This is the place for people new to VU+ ? hence the basic questions.
I don't know if Images are different, that's why I said most Images, so there is no need to be specific about an Image. Just whatever people are using.
I thought the Image was what controlled recording etc so thought some may save in different formats, so maybe there is a difference. Others may know.

HDD then as that is where they will be copied from, as I said I will be copying them to an external HDD so this logically would be what I meant.
I am just curious as it matters whan saving them, I excluded HD as I don't keep HD copis, only SD. But if people know HD sizes too that may help others.

There is not any "average" HD recording file size. Depends everything on resolution (720p, 1080i, ....) framerate (25 fps, 30 fps, ...) compression used (Mpeg2, Mpeg4, ....).
One of mine recorded 1920x1080i, 25 fps, mpeg4 - 5GB file size, 138 min playing time.

Sorry for not replying sooner but lightning took put our internet box and only just replaced it, also damaged a phone which is unusual.

Thanks for the info, not too bad all things considered, nearest I have from my Humax is Mpeg-2 25fps 720/576 picture. Bitrate is variable 2,732 (not entirely sure if that is an average rate, I assume it is).
This is SD 142mins and ended up at 3.5GB. Not much of a difference between that and Mpeg-4 HD.
If the VU+ can record HD at that size ratio I may consider saving some as HD if the movie warrants it. The Humax in normal mode (no added software) can't copy HD files.

By if the movie warrants it I mean if it is new and has up to date fast action etc, say like Gravity. I tend to keep a lot of older movies, a lot of B&W and even some silent so HD can't help them so may as well be in SD and save the space.
I would normally have said I wanted to record all in SD but I have editing software which can reduce bit rate, picture size etc to save space if I need to. So my policy would be, if not sure record HD I can always downscale it later.

Bottom line is I reckon I will buy a VU+ Solo2 box. I was 90% convinced before but was, as is my nature, trying to check every detail before buying. Problem is reading the many articles/posts on the net can get confusing as info varies and often is talking 'apples and oranges' so not relevant.

I thought about it, as ever, and decided it wasn't the cheapest and Ultimo probably more then I will ever need but I can buy it (guaranteed not a clone) for £269 which seems about right.
The writeup on here was very helpful as it showed detailed photos which gives an idea of build quality.
I will be having it sent to a friend in the UK to bring out in September so will pass on the clone test info on here so he can check it when it arrives.

Back