How to backup tuner/dish settings?

Slothery

Vu+ Newbie
I have a Vu+ zero with BlackHole 3.0.5.0. How do I backup the tuner/dish settings? Can I save some file or archive in order to do this? Evidently saving /etc/enigma2 and etc/tuxbox is not enough.

Note: It saves a lot of effort and time if I do not have to redo the satellite search, after each time I reinstall the Black Hole system.

Last edited:
I have a motorized DiSEqC 1.2 parabolic antenna. I want to backup all tuner configuration settings made with BlackHole (on Vu+ zero), so I can recover the settings in case BlackHole is reinstalled.

The tuner setting are part of the file
settings
located in /etc/enigma2
and you can copy all the lines starting with NIMS. Chech in it also for some other lines that might be related to tuners. This should get you all your tuner configuration but it's just and experimental way I've tried sometimes ;)

you can copy all the lines starting with NIMS
I'd like to add my humble advice to do this with the *same* satellites.xml file that is currently being used.
Sat names (or numbers) can slightly differ on the one that will come with reinstallation and this could cause trouble. :)

I copied everything from "/etc/enigma2" and "/etc/tuxbox" but it was not enough. But like it is enough to edit the tuner settings of the satellites are edited and then it works as before. Somehow these tuner settings are not in the /etc/enigma2 archive. Here better explained what I had to do for each satellite I had stored previously. I used the same stored positions as before, I guess that is important, and luckily I remembered what positions I had used before for different satellites.

Menu > Setup > System > Network > Mount Manager:
Where I selected:
- advanced configuration mode
- the satellite
- Use usuals for this sat = no
- Stored position = 001, 002, 003, etc (the same position number is attributed to the same satellite as before)

The above is made for each satellite.

So it seems like I can get away with much less work than it seemed before. Somehow the old position settings satellites (position 001, 002, 003, etc) were not lost, but the configuration lost the satellite configurations pointing to the stored positions, as I understand it.

The tuner setting are part of the file
settings
located in /etc/enigma2
and you can copy all the lines starting with NIMS. Chech in it also for some other lines that might be related to tuners. This should get you all your tuner configuration but it's just and experimental way I've tried sometimes ;)
I do not have any files with "NIMS" in their name.

I'd like to add my humble advice to do this with the *same* satellites.xml file that is currently being used.
Sat names (or numbers) can slightly differ on the one that will come with reinstallation and this could cause trouble. :)
I copied everything from "/etc/tuxbox" in which there is a file called "satellites.xml".

I copied everything from "/etc/enigma2" and "/etc/tuxbox" but it was not enough. But like it is enough to edit the tuner settings of the satellites are edited and then it works as before. Somehow these tuner settings are not in the /etc/enigma2 archive. Here better explained what I had to do for each satellite I had stored previously. I used the same stored positions as before, I guess that is important, and luckily I remembered what positions I had used before for different satellites.

Menu > Setup > System > Network > Mount Manager:
Where I selected:
- the satellite
- Stored position = 001, 002, 003, etc (the same position number is attributed to the same satellite as before)

The above is made for each satellite.

So it seems like I can get away with much less work than it seemed before. Somehow the old position settings satellites (position 001, 002, 003, etc) were not lost, but the configuration lost the satellite configurations pointing to the stored positions, as I understand it.

I made some errors in the post above. Here a correction of some things:

Main Meny > Setup > Service Searching > Tuner Configuration > Chose Tuner:
Where in my case with one LNB monted on a DiSEqC 1.2 parabolic antenna, I only have one choise. I click "OK" and then I get to the "Reception Settings" menu where I do do the following for each satellite in order to attribute a position number to each satellite. I use the same numbers as I used before (luckily I remember what I used before):
- the satellite (e.g. Astra, Hotbird, etc)

I copied everything from "/etc/tuxbox" in which there is a file called "satellites.xml".

It could be not a good idea to copy EVERYTHING from this folder, except maybe, as Gold_66 said, the file
satellites.xml
otherwise, installing an image from scratch, you might have some incoherences.

As I wrote, the file named
settings
contains some lines starting with the string "NIMS......"
OK. Thanks! I get it now. In the file "settings" I found the following lines that apparently relates to rotor position numbers:

config.Nims.0.powerMeasurement=false
config.Nims.0.advanced.sats=130
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.130.rotorposition=3
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.130.usals=false
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.130.lnb=1
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.192.usals=false
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.192.lnb=1
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.160.rotorposition=2
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.160.usals=false
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.160.lnb=1
config.Nims.0.advanced.lnb.1.latitude=36.0
config.Nims.0.advanced.lnb.1.diseqcMode=1_2
config.Nims.0.advanced.lnb.1.powerMeasurement=false
config.Nims.0.advanced.lnb.1.longitude=25.0
config.Nims.0.configMode=advanced

But they do not contain information of the dish (parabolic antenna) direction for each position. Where would the data for the DiSEqC 1.2 motor position command in order to point in the direction that I have set up for each satellite? It is time consuming to optimize the antenna direction, so I would find it very helpful to be able to backup the directions (motor positions) too.

Actually, I don't have a motorised dish but it seems to me that the lines you posted have references to your positions.
Anyway, examine all the lines in "settings" because, as I said, there might be other related lines. And, remember, this method is very experimental. It worked for me to save a double tuner configuration in advanced mode and for 3 satellites. But I can't say if it might be successful also for a motorised system.

Actually, I don't have a motorised dish but it seems to me that the lines you posted have references to your positions.
Anyway, examine all the lines in "settings" because, as I said, there might be other related lines. And, remember, this method is very experimental. It worked for me to save a double tuner configuration in advanced mode and for 3 satellites. But I can't say if it might be successful also for a motorised system.
No there is no line else that can have anything to do with the motor positions. I also copied all the files of /etc/enigma2, including this one, which confirms that these settings must be stored somewhere else.

Note: I discovered that passwords are stored in plain text in the file "/etc/enigma2/automounts.xml". The Vu+ box in accessible from LAN, without any password, so it would be quite easy for an intruder to log into my other computer once they are in my network. I am not satisfied at all with this lack of security.

Also in "/etc/enigma2/settings" the PIN codes for parental control and services are stored as plain text, so adolescents could look in the file via a computer on the local network and find out the PIN codes. Normally passwords and PIN codes are hashed, so they are not stored directly, instead their hash is stored. I do not know why this basic security practice was not done for Black Hole.

I have tried to find a way to password protect local network connection to the Vu+ box with Black Hole, but failed.

If you are concerned with security, you must protect directly the root user by the terminal command
passwd root xxxxx
(where xxxxx is obviously your desired password. This way, nobody could enter your VU+.

OK. That seems important. Should this terminal command be made during an SSH-login via computer? I have never done SSH-access to Vu+ Black Hole, is there a manual for it?

I use Terminal under OsX... but, if you have Linux, it's the same. If you have Windows, I suppose there is a Telnet console.

Back