Internal and external HDDs - 4k

Mark Thomas

Vu+ Newbie
Hi
I'm a newbie so please forgive my naivety.
I recently bought a Vu+ Solo 4K and am still getting to grips with its range of functions. I put in a 2.5 inch 500gb SATA HDD. That seems to work fine for the PVR, but when I leave it overnight the HDD seems to go into limbo and recordings can no longer be seen when I press the PVR button. I can wake it up by going to the Hard Drive menu and doing a file system check, but by the next day its gone back into limbo again (which is a bit annoying when I want to record early morning programs).

Also, I tried connecting both internal HDD and an external 500 Gb external HDD via USB (the external has its own power source and works fine when there is no internal HDD). But when both are connected I can't see the external HDD. Is the Vu+ Solo 4K capable of addressing both internal and external HDDs at the same time?

All best

Mark

AlexWilMac

If I understand correctly, you mean you are able to record after "resuscitating" you HDD but then it goes to sleep, right?
And, during the night, you leave your decoder in stand-by or in deep stand-by? In deep stand-by it cannot record or do anything.
About the double HDD, it is not sufficient just connect something to a box but you have also to MAP it.
And, finally: what image are you using? Or are you using the original VU+ software?

Mark Thomas

Vu+ Newbie
Many thanks for responding.
I'm pretty sure I just leave the decoder in stand-by, but I may be missing something and it is going into deep stand-by - how would I know?

Thanks for pointing out that it is not sufficient just connect something to a box but I have also to MAP it. Again, I am not sure how I would know, but both HDDs were formatted using the Vu+4k box, and when connected independently, they both work (i.e. if there is no internal HDD then the external one connected via the USB port at the back works fine and records; and when the internal HDD is inserted and no external HDD is connected via the USB port at the back, then the internal one records fine - except from the resuscitation problem mentioned above). Its just when they are both connected that I can't see the external one.

I flashed the box with 'BlackHole-3.0.2-vusolo4k_usb_release_20160913_7a40c1d' when I first got it. Out of interest, if I flashed it with the latest BH release (BlackHole-3.0.2-vusolo4k_usb_release_20161003_e67c1f4), would I lose the satellite positions I have put in via the tuning menu? If that is the case, how should I back up those positioner settings?

Apologies again for my naivety. I'm pretty competent at programming in C++ and Python, and am reasonably familiar with UNIX / Linux, but I am a long way from understanding a lot of the terms used on this site. Is there a glossary anywhere?

All best

Mark

AlexWilMac

Formatting and mapping are two different actions.
Probably, as VU+ (for some reason I don't get) recognises as "external" also the internal HDD, if you connect only one of them it maps it without regards if it's connected internally or externally, like it was the same one it already mapped.
But if you connect both, checks in Black Hole Apps / Devices Manager the situation.
Obviously, they can't be mapped both as /media/hdd but ine must be /media/usb

If you flash you lose every setting although, theorically, you could restore settings and plugins by
Backup Menu /BH personal backup

but my advice is not to rely to much to this settings backup. Especially in this case because you already have a 3.0.2 and you have just to update it from software manager or from menu
(Setup/Software management/software-update).
There is no need to flash a new version unless is not possible to upgrade from on to another with the simple online update.
For instance, when 3.0.0 was released and the previous version was the 2.1.7, it was not possible to perform the online update but we had to reflash from scrap.
But it is not your case.

Mark Thomas

Vu+ Newbie
Many thanks for all the advice.
The mapping seemed to work fine, and I can even do a timer record on the internal hdd and time shift on the external. The internal hdd still goes into limbo overnight- how can I check if the box is going into deep standby?

I'd like to transfer all recorded files on the external USB hdd to the internal hdd - is there an easy way to do this?

Also did the update as you advised. My wish to flash with the latest version was really more about starting afresh - as a newbie I assumed I'd filled the receiver with clutter during the steepest part of my learning curve. But maybe I'll do that when I know more about what I'm doing.

Thanks again. I have loads more questions but won't bombard you- will post in the most relevant sections of this site.
All best

AlexWilMac

The only way I know in BH to have automatically deep standby is (probably) by a plugin whose name should be, in English, Automatic shutdown manager or something like that (because I see it in Italian also when I set English as a language).
Surely cleaning up a bit your image from not really needed plugins is a good idea but, before, try to explore every plugins to see what is meant to.
And to clean you can also go to Black Hole Apps/Blackhole speed up to remove any useless plugin (for instance weather or the like).

Mark Thomas

Vu+ Newbie
Yep, you were right - had Autoshutdown set to to 'power off' after 2 hours in standby, which presumably has the same effect as a deepstandby.
Take your point about exploring plugins.
Thanks again
M

AlexWilMac

Yes, power off performs a deep stand-by.
Anyway: it's strange that deep standby causes this behaviour. I've used it sometimes and nothing happens. Let us know if your problem still occurs.