Internal or external hard drive?

smogmonster

Vu+ Newbie
I am looking at buying either a solo 4k or the uno 4k. I am not bothered about the solo's miniature display, so the only significant difference that I can see is the option to mount an internal hard disc on the solo 4k.

I have been told an internal hard drive is preferable as a usb drive puts more strain on the processor. Can anyone advise as to how far this is true?

All things being equal I would go with the cheaper uno 4k, but if that meant I could record fewer channels simultaneously, then it worth spending a little more.

However does not the newer uno 4k have a faster pprocessor (1700 mhz dual core as opposed to 1500 mhz). Would that not compensate for recording via usb anyway?

Can anyone advise? Thanks.

There is nothing difficult: internal HDD is connected through a SATA bus, USB is always a USB, although USB3 is not bad.
Then it also depends on HDD cache and its performances. But let's say SATA>USB3, of course.

Thanks Alexwilmac. So in other words there is a possibilty of a 'bottleneck' forming when recording multiple streams via usb?

From what I see USB 3 has plenty of bandwidth, much more than usb 2.0, so this shouldn't be an issue?

It might be or might be not but I'm not the right person to tell it because I've always and only used internal HDDs, either on Duo2 or in Solo4K.

Also always with internal disk.
The VU-Solo4K with internal hard disk 2TB, in tests, without problems up to 16 recordings of free satellite channels (7 to 12 channels $), with 8 channels of DTT (internal double / twin) at the same time.
All possible HD and completing with SD channels.
-------
Tambien siempre con disco interno.
El VU-Solo4K con disco duro interno 2TB, en pruebas, sin problemas hasta 16 grabaciones de canales libres de satelite (7 a 12 canales $), con 8 canales de TDT (interno doble/twin) al mismo tiempo.
Todos los HD posibles y completando con canales SD.

Back