Request Network Time Protocol (NTP)

Lloyd ZX

Vu+ User
Hello everybody,
I was wandering whether it is possible to have Network Time Protocol (NTP), running on Black Hole.

The reason for my request is that:
- I had an electrical blackout
- when the power is back my VU+ SOLO SE V2 tried to tune to an unavailable channel (perhaps the first of a list)
- due to the fact that that channel was unavailable the device got stuck at January 1st (and at a wrong time)
- because of this all scheduled recordings failed to run

Thank you all, for your patience and time,
Lloyd ZX

nunigaia

Hello everybody,
I was wandering whether it is possible to have Network Time Protocol (NTP), running on Black Hole.

- when the power is back my VU+ SOLO SE V2 tried to tune to an unavailable channel (perhaps the first of a list)
- due to the fact that that channel was unavailable the device got stuck at January 1st (and at a wrong time)

Lloyd ZX

You can set a default channel that, when you power off or wake it from standby for allways going to the same service channel.

1) - Choose a channel to your desire

2) - When showing the Channel List go into the channel you want to choose ... press MENU and assign the service as :

1.1 - Set as start up service

1.2 - Set as start service from standby.

best regards
nunigaia

Jotne

Vu+ Newbie
If I do not remember correctly, all channels you get EPG (2 lines minimum) from will sett the time of the box.
So set the box to your preferred channel with EPG, then go to Shutdown, and restart GUI.
With next power off, box will start with this channel, and set time correctly.

Mito

Administrator
Hello everybody,

Lloyd ZX
Take a look here ;) http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/server-ntp.26715/#post-200727

Lloyd ZX

Vu+ User
Since ntpd executable is present within our Black Hole 3.0.1F ...

Code:
root@vusolose:/etc# which ntpd
/usr/sbin/ntpd

... I was wondering if there was aleardy an official init script for Black Hole. :huh:

Jotne

Vu+ Newbie
@Mito
This is not NTP. I just sets the time to a server in Italia using rdate
rdate -s ntp1.inrim.it

@Lloyd ZX
If there is an NTP command, you can see if its set and running by typing:
ntpq -p

But I am not sure if this is needed.
I remember an older post regarding this.
If you restart you box on a channel not sending EPG, you will get problem with time.
So set it to a channel with EPG and restart. This will give you correct and updated time.

Lloyd ZX

Vu+ User
@Mito
@Lloyd ZX
If there is an NTP command, you can see if its set and running by typing:
ntpq -p

But I am not sure if this is needed.
I remember an older post regarding this.
If you restart you box on a channel not sending EPG, you will get problem with time.
So set it to a channel with EPG and restart. This will give you correct and updated time.

ntpq seems to be not available (or, at least, I was not able to find it).

However, since ntpd is present, within Black Hole, I was just wondering if there was an "official" way to enable it.

Lloyd ZX

Vu+ User
@Lloyd ZX
Are you sure you need it?
If the box reads the time from a channel, and its correct, no need for extra software.

I completely understand your point of view but, since it happened that the box received the wrong date/time from a channel (of course it was a mistake), I would like to be 100% sure that date & time are effectively right.

Then, my worry will be if the date/time sync could conflict date/time sync set by NTP Daemon, and how to avoid this ...

4KorBust

Vu+ Newbie
setup a server in /etc/ntp.conf
"server <ntp-server>"
check the server that you specified in with "ntpd -n -w"

If you get a reply back, then type "ntpd" and it will start the daemon and update the time.

Verify before and after using the "date" command.