New to VU+ and need basic info

Terry Mate

Vu+ Newbie
Dear All,

I'm a happy VU+ Solo2 owner. I just received my receiver and pleased to be part of this community. I have very basic questions to start with and hope to become expert as I sail with you together.

1) I understand that VU+ is a family of dreambox receivers. Out of curiosity, what benefit does such a receiver has over the ordinary receivers? I know it is loaded with Linux as operating system but if someone is to speak and share about the VU+ receivers what benefit it has over the normal one ... for example, normal is not a computer based but VU is a computer and allows you to do A....Z...what's special about them? I bought it and found it to be expensive but friends and alike told me that these receivers are far more better than the ordinary, question what is the difference so next time someone asks me I know what to answer.

2) VU+ comes with a Linux loaded operating system when I just bought from the store. My friend just loaded the blackhole operating system. Question, what is the original Linux that was loaded called, why should someone go for blackhole and what benefits does it bring?

3) In future, how do I go about checking latest update of the blackhole and where do I download from?

4) I hear about VU+ plugins, what are they, where can I find them and what benefit can I get from one to another.

I think this is my 1st basic info I wish to learn from you all :)

Dear All,

I'm a happy VU+ Solo2 owner. I just received my receiver and pleased to be part of this community. I have very basic questions to start with and hope to become expert as I sail with you together.

1) I understand that VU+ is a family of dreambox receivers. Out of curiosity, what benefit does such a receiver has over the ordinary receivers? I know it is loaded with Linux as operating system but if someone is to speak and share about the VU+ receivers what benefit it has over the normal one ... for example, normal is not a computer based but VU is a computer and allows you to do A....Z...what's special about them? I bought it and found it to be expensive but friends and alike told me that these receivers are far more better than the ordinary, question what is the difference so next time someone asks me I know what to answer.

2) VU+ comes with a Linux loaded operating system when I just bought from the store. My friend just loaded the blackhole operating system. Question, what is the original Linux that was loaded called, why should someone go for blackhole and what benefits does it bring?

3) In future, how do I go about checking latest update of the blackhole and where do I download from?

4) I hear about VU+ plugins, what are they, where can I find them and what benefit can I get from one to another.

I think this is my 1st basic info I wish to learn from you all :)

1) Vu+ and Dreambox have a SIMILAR operating system base (both based on Linux OpenEmbedded distro) and a similar GUI (Enigma2) but they are produced and developed by corresponding manufacturer and dev teams.
They are at 100% like a PC with Linux: these boxes can run different software (torrent client, python plugins, etc) that ordinary STBs doesen't support in any way.

2) Vu+ original image comes with any Vu+ box outisde the store. Black Hole image is a third party developed image BASED on original image.
Black Hole image has some improovements that original image don't have.

3) In this Board

4) Take a look in the Plugins section of this Board

1) Vu+ and Dreambox have a SIMILAR operating system base (both based on Linux OpenEmbedded distro) and a similar GUI (Enigma2) but they are produced and developed by corresponding manufacturer and dev teams.
They are at 100% like a PC with Linux: these boxes can run different software (torrent client, python plugins, etc) that ordinary STBs doesen't support in any way.

2) Vu+ original image comes with any Vu+ box outisde the store. Black Hole image is a third party developed image BASED on original image.
Black Hole image has some improovements that original image don't have.

3) In this Board

4) Take a look in the Plugins section of this Board

Thank you so much for your prompt advise and response.

1) This is clear to me now.

2) I have questions about blackhole. I have installed an HDD now in my VU+ Solo2. I would like to transfer movies to my HDD. Right now I am doing it by copying the files via wifi connected to the receiver but it takes a lot of time. Is there anyway where I can plug my external USB and then copy all the files from my USB into the receiver instead of doing it wirelessly? Or is there a way to mount my external USB drive so it becomes a local copy instead of doing it wirelessly? Another question is, how can I search for a channel within a list in blackhole, I tried a lot to find a search where I can type name of channel but all that appears is EPG search.

3)EDIT bY ADMIN (MX)

Read the forum rules ,next time follows BAN

4) I have a youtube plugin, but surprisingly it doesn't allow to play youtube videos, it keeps crashing - any clue?

Thank you for advice and support

Last edited by a moderator:
4) I have a youtube plugin, but surprisingly it doesn't allow to play youtube videos, it keeps crashing - any clue?

Try YouTube TV from main menu.
I did also try "My TubePlayer" from green panel and both youtube players are working fine.

Back