Duo / DuoLE No AC3+ at Duo 4K SE

SleepyHellow

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,
today I bought a new Duo 4K SE and it works pretty good. Regreatfully there is no way to get a sound when the tv plays a eac3 (ac3+/DD+) show or a video has it. The only way is to downmix AC3+. The same bug is at my Ultimo 4K. Is there a workaround to solve this problem?

I am no expert at this but when you are not downmixing, the audio is sent ass Passthrough and you need an external source that handle this audio stream.
If you are direct connected to your TV. Then you have to downmix the audio stream or else your TV can't handle the audio stream.

Many people think that because your TV supports all kind of Audio system it should work. But this only means that your TV also sends the audio stream as passtrough to be handle by an external sound system.
Modern TV can passtrough the audio either through special HDMI port or the S/PIDF I am not sure if the Vu+ passtrough S/PIDF only or if it also can do it through the HDMI

So this is no bug it's just how the Audio works.
AC3 downmix when it is the Vu+ controling the audio stream
And passtrough when you have an external Audio System, Like a surround system

Last edited:

SleepyHellow

Vu+ Newbie
The Duo 4K SE streams the sound to the bose soundbar 900 that is able to play EAC3. Yesterday I tried to play EAC3 with my old Solo 4K (without downmix) and it worked fine! I also have no problems when Apple TV 4K plays this format at the soundbar. I read from a lot of people with this problem at VTI forum. The thread began at 2019 till janurary 2022. So it looks like that it is a problem with the drivers or the chip (it's the same for Ultimo 4K and Duo 4K SE).

OlivierM

Vu+ Newbie
Hi, when you turn off the downmix, what's your signal on the SPDIF output?
It should be AC3 (without a plus), because only one will pass through this connector.
In turn, the HDMI output should be full AC3 +.

Unfortunately, manufacturers of Linux receivers do not care about sound, perhaps it is due to underdeveloped drivers or the fact that they do not want to pay Dolby Digital license fees.
For example, a cheap receiver from 2010 (Ariva 252 Combo without Linux): If the station transmits AC3 +, it outputs the AC3 + signal on HDMI and the standard AC3 on the SPDIF connector.
The Gigablue Trio 4k Linux receiver produced now cannot do that and there is silence on the SPDIF.

Last edited:

SleepyHellow

Vu+ Newbie
The problem is not that a connection is wrong because the same constellation work on a Solo 4K and Uno 4K SE. It only doesn‘t work with a Ultimo 4K and Duo 4K SE which both have the same chip inside.