billigmeister

Vu+ Newbie
Hi All

I am thinking of getting a vu+ duo2. My set up is as folows
  • LG Smart Webos TV
  • dual feed from 28.2 astra (fixed)
  • dual feed from 19.2 astra (fixed)
  • no antenna feed
At a basic level i am looking for a quad sat receiver that records from all 4 feeds - i know that there are a number on the market that might do that (gigablue/dreambox) but i wanted to understand what additional benefits would the duo2 also offer.

I am a bit confused by all the talk of different images etc so apologise if i mix up my understanding.

My questions are as follows

1. Could i plonk in an old internal hard drive from an old Humax pvr that i have?
  2. Is recording to a USB portable drive easy to set up and is it as stable as internal drive once set (is there a limit to size?)
  3. Once recorded onto a USB, can the content and files be taken and easily viewed on other devices (ie a different smart tv or laptop) and would it still work slickly when i plug it back into the duo2?
  4. How easy is transcoding onto another screen device (ie would my technophobe wife be able to do it onto an ipad)
  5. Does transcoding allow for items from the USB portable drive be beamed to whichever device you want and still be able to record via the satellite
  6. how decent are the EPG's and do they all allow for series link etc? (is this image specific?)
  7. Would i be able to have on one epg the data from the english feed and also the german feed together?
  8. Are there any of the on demand services available via the duo2 (english or german)?
  9. I was thinking about setting kodi/xbmc on - is there a particular image that is best used for this?
  10. Generally with the images - is there a simple guide that demonstrates the particular positives of that particular image....to the layman they all seem get techie and not easy to choose

a lot of questions but i think it is good to do your research prior to purchase. I think i know the answer to some of the above but i am not sure, hence my asking for clarification.

thanks in advance for any help

Hi All

I am thinking of getting a vu+ duo2. My set up is as folows
  • LG Smart Webos TV
  • dual feed from 28.2 astra (fixed)
  • dual feed from 19.2 astra (fixed)
  • no antenna feed
At a basic level i am looking for a quad sat receiver that records from all 4 feeds - i know that there are a number on the market that might do that (gigablue/dreambox) but i wanted to understand what additional benefits would the duo2 also offer.

I am a bit confused by all the talk of different images etc so apologise if i mix up my understanding.

My questions are as follows

1. Could i plonk in an old internal hard drive from an old Humax pvr that i have?
  2. Is recording to a USB portable drive easy to set up and is it as stable as internal drive once set (is there a limit to size?)
  3. Once recorded onto a USB, can the content and files be taken and easily viewed on other devices (ie a different smart tv or laptop) and would it still work slickly when i plug it back into the duo2?
  4. How easy is transcoding onto another screen device (ie would my technophobe wife be able to do it onto an ipad)
  5. Does transcoding allow for items from the USB portable drive be beamed to whichever device you want and still be able to record via the satellite
  6. how decent are the EPG's and do they all allow for series link etc? (is this image specific?)
  7. Would i be able to have on one epg the data from the english feed and also the german feed together?
  8. Are there any of the on demand services available via the duo2 (english or german)?
  9. I was thinking about setting kodi/xbmc on - is there a particular image that is best used for this?
  10. Generally with the images - is there a simple guide that demonstrates the particular positives of that particular image....to the layman they all seem get techie and not easy to choose

a lot of questions but i think it is good to do your research prior to purchase. I think i know the answer to some of the above but i am not sure, hence my asking for clarification.

thanks in advance for any help
1. DEPENDS. If the HDD is a SATA 3.5"/2.5" inch tehre are not problems. Probably you loose all recordings made by previous PVR due to different formats.
2. You should use NTFS filesystem for external USB drive but the only behaviour is the poor read/write performances for this filesystem
3. Recordings are made directly in TS format. Any device capable to read TS files are OK (into PC, VLC Media Player for example)
4. I've no experience for that
5. Probably yes.
6. This is quite hard. EPG system is a very nice thing but must be configured carefully to gather all infos for your channels. About series link, you can check if there are some plugins for your target.
7. If you mean two languages for the same EPG, I think NO.
8. There are some plugins that enables the box to see some IPTV streams like TSMedia (it's a plugin)
9. No
10. I think the best choice is your choice. Try some images and evaluate directly if you like it or not.

Back