Restore in case of problem

pacut

Vu+ User
In Universe worlds it is not allowed to backup your configuration and restore it in case of trobubles. You have to start it again from scratch :(

Q1 - I am querying if adopting the Meoboot (multi boot) would allow me to flash back (restore) my saved image (BH full backup) in case I get some trouble on the way on with Meoboot.

Q2 - In terms of performance and stability is it the same having Meoboot on USB drive vs Meoboot on HDD

Q3 - is it correct my understanding: Meoboot system/management/core in one place (e.g flash) and images on different place (eg HDD) ?

thanks in advance
paolo

nunigaia

In Universe worlds it is not allowed to backup your configuration and restore it in case of trobubles. You have to start it again from scratch :(

Q1 - I am querying if adopting the Meoboot (multi boot) would allow me to flash back (restore) my saved image (BH full backup) in case I get some trouble on the way on with Meoboot.

Q2 - In terms of performance and stability is it the same having Meoboot on USB drive vs Meoboot on HDD

Q3 - is it correct my understanding: Meoboot system/management/core in one place (e.g flash) and images on different place (eg HDD) ?

thanks in advance
paolo

A1 - Yes. You must perform the backups from each image installed ... Afaik, you can´t do, a global backup.

A2 - No. Better, is recommended to use an USB Pen Drive ( dued constant spinning of HDD ), unless your HDD is an SSD Drive.

A3 - At this moment for Multiboot ... Use in flash Open BlackHole image instead Black Hole 2.1.7. The management of Open Multiboot must be done allways from flash Image ( Open BlackHole ), from there you must install, delete or rename a image installed on Open Multiboot.

best regards
nunigaia

pacut

Vu+ User
Thank you.
Your last answer made me think: I have currently BH 2.1.6 (no Open). Are you saying it is better (or is it mandatory) to move to Open BH prior setting up Multiboot (Open) ? Does Multiboot works properly under regulat BH ?
Ciao
Paolo

nunigaia

Thank you.
Your last answer made me think: I have currently BH 2.1.6 (no Open). Are you saying it is better (or is it mandatory) to move to Open BH prior setting up Multiboot (Open) ? Does Multiboot works properly under regulat BH ?
Ciao
Paolo

If you intend to use Multiboot: ( The better choice )

1) Install Open Blackhole from here ( as i don´t know your STB Model, i can´t give you the direct link for the image ) --> http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/#open-black-hole.66 , You must choose from the image list the one that match your STB.

2) Upon install Open BlackHole in Flash, follow this guide --> http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/how-to-use-open-multiboot-on-open-black-hole.23270/

best regards
nunigaia

pacut

Vu+ User
I have understood differences among MeoBoot (regualr BH) and Open-Multiboot (Open BH) ! Great ! I am gonna replacing my flash (BH) with Open BH, and from there I will install BH 2.1.6 (my favourite) into Open BH space.
Will let you know.
Thanks again !!!!
Ciao

AlexWilMac

I've been using OMB for a long time, now, but I had never had the problem I'm going to explain, before.
I found out that, all of a sudden, I can't load any of the five images I have in omb. Whatever of them I choose, the system restarts by flash.
The boot menu does not even appear (despite of the fact it is enabled under the Omb preferences. I also tried to disable it and then re-enable, without success).
So I removed the folder extension and then I reinstalled the plugin by telnet, either by a normal install,
opkg install enigma2-plugin-extensions-openmultiboot
or by a forced reinstall
opkg install --force-reinstall enigma2-plugin-extensions-openmultiboot

Both commands succeeded and, as a matter of fact, I can again see all my installations listed but they don't boot any more.
So I tried to install a new image to see if this unblocked all the other ones or if, at least, the new one would work. The answer is no to both.

What can I try to make them working again?

nunigaia

I've been using OMB for a long time, now, but I had never had the problem I'm going to explain, before.
I found out that, all of a sudden, I can't load any of the five images I have in omb. Whatever of them I choose, the system restarts by flash.
The boot menu does not even appear (despite of the fact it is enabled under the Omb preferences. I also tried to disable it and then re-enable, without success).
So I removed the folder extension and then I reinstalled the plugin by telnet, either by a normal install,
opkg install enigma2-plugin-extensions-openmultiboot
or by a forced reinstall
opkg install --force-reinstall enigma2-plugin-extensions-openmultiboot

Both commands succeeded and, as a matter of fact, I can again see all my installations listed but they don't boot any more.
So I tried to install a new image to see if this unblocked all the other ones or if, at least, the new one would work. The answer is no to both.

What can I try to make them working again?

At first, you should reflash only the kernel of your flash booting image, instead removing from instance, OpenMultiboot plugin ( because certainly, the cause it was a corrupted kernel on your Flash image ).

Now, after removing OpenMultiboot and resinstalling it, just unpacking all of your images, could be bring you OMB back to life!

best regards
nunigaia

AlexWilMac

Thanks, I'll do the kernel reflash as soon as possible.
But what do you mean by "unpacking all of your images"? I will loose all the current installation and I can only reinstall them?
Or might they work the way they are now?

nunigaia

Thanks, I'll do the kernel reflash as soon as possible.
But what do you mean by "unpacking all of your images"? I will loose all the current installation and I can only reinstall them?
Or might they work the way they are now?

The reflash of the kernel should be the first step, unfortunately, it seems you haven´t tried that before removing OMB plugin.
Unpacking, i mean, it is installing your all OMB images from scratch. You have done Online updates, you must have at your HDD a backup copy of your settings, that you can restore to your OBH image.
This will turn the process "quick", than doing all from scratch.

best regards
nunigaia

AlexWilMac

Well, I do not rely on settings (personal) backup but I have FullBackups of the most important ones. The others... not so terrible to reinstall. ;) I installed them just for didactic reasons or to verify some behaviours.
The only important installation, is the OBH 4.1.022 that hadn't some problems 4.2 has.

AlexWilMac

Reflashing only the kernel and then removing and reinstalling the OMB plugin didn't solve the issue: either a fullbackup or a new installation were only apparently installed but they don't boot and, a thing I suppose it's related, I still can't see the boot menu at start.

Maybe I should have done the other way round? I mean:
-removing OMB folder
-reflash only the kernel
-reinstalling by telnet OMB?

Also, in my first message, I forgot to tell that, before starting all this attempt, before deleting the OMB "original" folder, I copied it to my computer.
So, if the correct procedure was to reflash the kernel, maybe I can copy it back ;)