Satellite Finders/Meters suggestion

ruvain

Vu+ Newbie
Hi All

I hope this the forum to place following question.
In the country I live having a primality held satellite dish, is not a most prevalent practice.
Provided this, finding someone capable of setting up a dish is difficult.

For this reason I’d come to the point in which I concern buying a digital satellite meter.
I noticed a brand manufacturing which though I am a newbie , my impression is that their line is
a well reputed brand. To avoid a possible low breaking of this board I will not mention the brand
Unless to is permitted here.

1. First I’d seen in a specific website a division into Aerial Meters as well as “Satellite Meters” categories. Does cereal refers to Terrestrial services?
  2. I found (at least under “Satellite Meters” category), that there are instruments starting at 119 Uk pounds and some reach 300 , 400 pounds. What makes the difference? is there anything apart of LCD screen size or it is a matter of their detection sensitivity bands , frequencies etc’?
  3. Following question number 2, Should that be enough being able to position the 4 LNB’S I have on my
    fixes 120 cm dish just to be on “focus” of the beams of the steatites my dish its capable of “seeing”,
    Or that is not enough?
  4. Where can I find information about what are the differences between different bands “ KU bands”, "C
    Bands” etc’, and how does it infuences on what I can watch?

Thank you very much!

ruvain

Satellite meters can be bought for as little as £7-£10, these are cheap, basic, meters that beep, and have a 0-10 display. You adjust the sensitivity so that the needle points to 5, mid way, without the dish even pointing at a satellite.
You then adjust the dish, or in your case, the LNB, until the meter hits 10, decrease the sensitivity, so that it reads 5, and adjust the Dish, or LNB, until it reaches 10.
You keep doing this until you get a maximum signal then check with your receiver, by scanning in some channels, to work out which satellite you're pointing at.

The more expensive satellite meters are for professional installers, and range from £50 to £200, and have LCD screens, some HD, that can show a picture, so act like a small satellite receiver, and provides a variety of information, including the Satellite you're on, Channel information, Signal quality, etc.....

Most channels broadcast in Ku band, but there are a few extra channels using C Band, and KA Band, which you can get by using specialized LNB's.

Check out Lyngsat.com, and other satellite sites, to see which satellitesa are available, in your region, by checking the satellite beam maps, which show the approximate size of dish, you require, and if the beam can be received, in your region:
Code:
http://www.lyngsat.com/

Thank you MIcki for taking the time and providing me with a reply!

If I got you right, LCD sat finders are just a luxury not a must.
It just may become harder to get the LNB’s the right way since the dish is 2 floor above my aappartment
and I will be doing this calibration on my own with no assistance.

Do you mind please to tell anyway how the more fancy meters differ one from the other?
Especially since I see there is a significant price range of them when those are of the same make.
If it is allowed here, and if it is needed in the sake of the illustration, I would post the
web site which I was browsing to show what am I talking about.

Thank you again and wish you a grate weekend

ruvain

Personally I have only used the basic satellite meter, due to once I set my dish up, motorized 1.2M channel master, that's the last I need it, and as mine is at ground level maintenance is quick, and easy.
The other, more expensive, satellite meters are often reviewed, on other forums, by professional, and semi professional, installers, and their preferences differ.
Some prefer the more expensive versions, big screens, more robust, don't break so easy, when they drop them, and regular updates, easy to download, and install, as channels so often switch frequencies, transponders, or even stop broadcasting.

Back