This board is now closed. The Blackhole image ended in 2020. The board will remain available in Read Only Mode, so all the posts from the last 15+ years are not lost. We thank you for being part of the community for the last 15+ years. You can join the OpenBh board if you have not already done so at www.openbh.net.

SSD for 4K

There are no hardware incompatibilities, but the images are optimized to work with SSD ? I mean enhancements to not shorten the lifespan of the SSD (such as Windows XP that shortens the lifespan of the SSD). These days want to order a receiver Vu+ Ultimo 4K and i no longer wish to install HDD, but to put a 1TB SSD (which is not cheap and I want to resist in time).
 
There are no hardware incompatibilities, but the images are optimized to work with SSD ? I mean enhancements to not shorten the lifespan of the SSD (such as Windows XP that shortens the lifespan of the SSD). These days want to order a receiver Vu+ Ultimo 4K and i no longer wish to install HDD, but to put a 1TB SSD (which is not cheap and I want to resist in time).
These boxes run linux, so unlike windows they don't not have a trim function, that will damage ssd's.

I have to say that there is not really much to gain, fitting an ssd to these boxes, as a normal 2.5" hdd is plenty fast enough to record and playback from.
 
I confirm: at the moment I didn't find significant improvements using a SSD. So I decided to use it in more useful situations.
Even NAS don't have too many problems, usually, although sometimes I noticed some frame corrupt in full HD recordings but it was probably caused by using this NAS also for other purposes. Anyway, I didn't try NAS for recording for too long.
But I've never had any troubles with normal HDD, even with 4K recordings.
What really changes is not related to recordings but to:
1) time to cut movies (really much shorter and really much longer with a NAS);
2) loading of images in OpenMultiboot
 
Back
Top