Storing positions for satellites problems

Gibbin82

Vu+ Newbie
I am very new to this but managed to solve most of the problem I have encountered, however this has me stumped. I have a VU+ box running VIX running a motorised dish with a 36volt motor via a Motech V-box positioner. I have set up all the satellites with different numbers, but there seems to be a problem when there are two satellites listed in the same location as the motor doesn't always move from a previous location to the new one. I think there must be some sort of clash going on, but how do I overcome it?

Can you please expand on "two satellites in the same location", which 2 satellites do you mean?
If they are co-located, in the same position, then your motor has nowhere to move to.

Can you please expand on "two satellites in the same location", which 2 satellites do you mean?
If they are co-located, in the same position, then your motor has nowhere to move to.

By two satellites I mean when there is a C band and Ku band satellite at the same long/latitude, what I am finding is happening is if I move in one direction through the satellites in the sat Finder it will go to the first satellite (such as from 9.0e to 0.8w Ku band) but going through the satellite in the other direction (from 3.0w to 0.8w C band) the dish doesn't move until you proceed to the following 0.8w satellite, or in other words it only works and moves for one of the satellites

I'm sorry but I still don't understand.
Do you have 1 LNB, for C Band and KU band, or are you using 2 separate LNB'S?
Are you using a Diseqc switch?
If using 2 LNB's then only one cable will be going into your V-Box II positioner, so that is the only one that will move the motor, unless you just use the V-Box II remote, to select the satellite.

I have a motorised dish with one LNB, but I have found what the problem is now. The positioner can only store one satellite in each location, so if I put in a C and Ku band satellite in the same stored position on the positioner it ignores one of them. As such I have removed all of the C-band transmitters that are causing conflicts and everything is working correctly (other than not being able to get any C-band transmissions where there is also a Ku band satellite). But is there much on C-band worth having anyway?

Depends on your location, you don't get a lot in Europe, which is why it's mainly for the enthusiast, but there are quite a few transmissions in America.

If your V-Box II positioner has 99 possible storage options you could always set up the C Band satellites separately, using different numbers. For example, if you have 10 East set at position 9, under the KU band channels, then add a new satellite, 10.1E, store it a few clicks East/West, of the KU storage point and store this at 99. Of course you then need to scan the C Band channels in, on this new satellite, but once done it should work.

If your V-Box II positioner has 99 possible storage options you could always set up the C Band satellites separately, using different numbers. For example, if you have 10 East set at position 9, under the KU band channels, then add a new satellite, 10.1E, store it a few clicks East/West, of the KU storage point and store this at 99. Of course you then need to scan the C Band channels in, on this new satellite, but once done it should work.

Thanks Mick, I will give that a try.

If you have a KU LNB I do not think you are going to pick up any C band transmissions. Differant freq. KU 10.7 to 13.25 C 3.7 to 4.2 approx You dish will need to be much larger than the normal 60cm, 1m, 1.2m. I think you will find C band for you is no go, unless as mentioned you live in the USA then with the right kit you might. I have been working the KU bands for almost 30 years and never seen a C band tx with a KU LNB (s/w UK).
del

If you have a KU LNB I do not think you are going to pick up any C band transmissions. Differant freq. KU 10.7 to 13.25 C 3.7 to 4.2 approx You dish will need to be much larger than the normal 60cm, 1m, 1.2m. I think you will find C band for you is no go, unless as mentioned you live in the USA then with the right kit you might. I have been working the KU bands for almost 30 years and never seen a C band tx with a KU LNB (s/w UK).
del
Thanks del6600, I tried blind scanning the C band transmitters and got nothing, so I have now set all of them to not configured

Back