Stuck on booting non-working OpenATV image

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
Hello,
I have used openmultiboot for about a year on my VU+ DUO4K, latest BH image in the Flash booting automatically.
There were 3 other images installed (VTi, OpenATV 6.3 and 1 other for testing) via Multiboot on internal SSD drive, used rarely for testing only.
Yesterday I wanted to test new OpenATV image, original 6.3 was very old so I decided to install 6.4 and delete the old 6.3 version. Installation went fine, OpenATV 6.4 appered in the OpenMultiboot menu and old 6.3 was deleted.
But after reboot the 6.4 version is stuck on OpenATV logo and nothing more is happening.
Off course the image selection on start is disabled so I don't know how do I return to my BH image and remove this OpenATV 6.4 from booting via OpenMultiboot.
Can anyone advice how to disable/remove non-working image selected for booting?
I don't want to completely format my SSD and install all from scratch...
Thanks a lot for help.

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
I flashed the BH again via USB containing full backup made recently.
After flashing ended system restarted and booting finished in OpenATV screen...again

AlexWilMac

There was no need to reflash: next time disconnect the OMB device (in your case, SSD) and reboot. OMB will be forced to start from flash as it will not find the image to start from (you'll probably experience a delay in booting).
Once the image in flash will be running, connect again the OMB device, go to the plugin panel, enter OMB and set the Flash image as the start image.

There is also another way, editing some files in in the openmultiboot root folder (.force and .selected) but you'll have to disconnect the SSD the same, and you need to have access to it by your PC and without linux you'll need third-party tools to do that... maybe too much complicated...

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you for your advice, seems logical. I hoped that OpenMultiBoot maybe supports some safety "HotKey" pressed during reboot to load image from flash...

I already tested the first method you propose : Rebooted the box without SSD and inserted SSD back into slot after BH image has finished booting from flash.
But after opening plugin OpenMultiBoot it asked me to confirm OMB media device or cancel. I was afraid that the SSD device will be formatted so selected cancel.
Don't know how to force OMB plugin to re-load it's configuration from the SSD device and let me choose image for booting.

Can I somehow manually edit the config files mentioned (.force and .selected) via telnet/ssh session (if image loaded from flash/SSD re-inserted), or the whole OMB filesystem is unavailable/read-only ?
Plan to test this later today if no easier method will be found...

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
I flashed the BH again via USB containing full backup made recently.
After flashing ended system restarted and booting finished in OpenATV screen...again

Maybe you can try to flash Duo 4K without using a backup ... it can have another result.
This OpenATV 6.4 is a nice piece of work ... you will have difficulty getting the SSD recognized by other devices, if you use this function.

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
I already tested the first method you propose : Rebooted the box without SSD and inserted SSD back into slot after BH image has finished booting from flash.
But after opening plugin OpenMultiBoot it asked me to confirm OMB media device or cancel. I was afraid that the SSD device will be formatted so selected cancel.
Don't know how to force OMB plugin to re-load it's configuration from the SSD device and let me choose image for booting.

When you reach this level, why not delete OATV 6.4 using WSCP? Maybe the same will happen, but it's testing ...

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
Finally fixed the problem via ssh session.
Mounted the SSD partition, modified the .selected file to point to other image folder and after reboot the other selected image started successfully.
Thanks to all who helped.

AlexWilMac

It was I suggested: actually my suggestion is to write "flash" in .selected and "0" in .force.
After the reboot, you can use the plugin as usual to choose anther image. But before that, is a good idea to get back to flash.

nunigaia

Finally fixed the problem via ssh session.
Mounted the SSD partition, modified the .selected file to point to other image folder and after reboot the other selected image started successfully.
Thanks to all who helped.

Are you sure, that you can draw back, i.e, boot to severall images, including the one installed at "flash"?

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
Are you sure, that you can draw back, i.e, boot to severall images, including the one installed at "flash"?
Yes, all 3 OMB images are now working as before. But I have updated .selected file to folder of another OMB image located on SSD, not "flash".
After that image has booted I opened OMB plugin, changed settings and selected flash(BH image) from the list of available images.

nunigaia

Yes, all 3 OMB images are now working as before. But I have updated .selected file to folder of another OMB image located on SSD, not "flash".
After that image has booted I opened OMB plugin, changed settings and selected flash(BH image) from the list of available images.

No. I think you have selected the file:

ehoplnR.png

-> .selected at:

Code:
/media/usb/open-multiboot

And you have renamed the "name of the file! = Image name ... for flash "Flash" ...

I just am repeating the answer, now are you ready to boot for any other image under "OMB = Open Multiboot" ?

best regards
nunigaia

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
OK, sry, maybe I've just not explained it right, my english is far from perfect.
After mounting the SSD I have edited, not renamed the file /open-multiboot/.selected on the SSD drive.
And changed it's content via text editor to the name of the subfolder (in /open-multiboot) which contains a working image.
Now the file .selected contains "flash" so I could use that instead of the subfolder name.

Thanks for suggestion, seems like easier and faster solution...
All images(in flash and subfolders) are working now :thanks:

Last edited:

nunigaia

OK, sry, maybe I've just not explained it right, my english is far from perfect.
After mounting the SSD I have edited, not renamed the file /open-multiboot/.selected on the SSD drive.
And changed it's content via text editor to the name of the subfolder (in /open-multiboot) which contains a working image.
Now the file .selected contains "flash" so I could use that instead of the subfolder name.

Thanks for suggestion, seems like easier and faster solution...
All images(in flash and subfolders) are working now :thanks:

Ok... Clear, now i can see ... and it will work! ;)

Now i am on OMB session ... and the Image that is running is an OMB image....

The .selected file ... just has:

Code:
OpenBh-4.3

Currently is the booted up "Firmware" = "Image"
thanks
best regards
nunigaia

mccann007

Vu+ User
Ok... Clear, now i can see ... and it will work! ;)

Now i am on OMB session ... and the Image that is running is an OMB image....

The .selected file ... just has:

Code:
OpenBh-4.3

Currently is the booted up "Firmware" = "Image"
thanks
best regards
nunigaia
.selected file is hidden file, how do you show it in OMB folder?

AlexWilMac

Hidden or not, it is editable. Edit it and change it.
It clearly must stay hidden; otherwise, the plugin wouldn't have set it this way.

mccann007

Vu+ User
No. I think you have selected the file:

ehoplnR.png

-> .selected at:

Code:
/media/usb/open-multiboot

And you have renamed the "name of the file! = Image name ... for flash "Flash" ...

I just am repeating the answer, now are you ready to boot for any other image under "OMB = Open Multiboot" ?

best regards
nunigaia

What program you use to show the above files as in the picture you posted ??