VU+ App v Sky GO (and transcoding) for android

Brian sSheehy

Vu+ Newbie
Hi all,

New to this forum but can't seem to find a straight answer to the relative value of SD streaming from the Vu duo v HD streaming using the encoding function from vu duo2 - that seems to me to be the only real reason to fork out extra cash for the duo2.

Does anyone here have a rough handle on the picture quality and speed / ease of use of the V+ app relative to Sky Go?

I ask this in the context of trying to decide between buying a Vu Duo or a Vu Duo2 for the transcoding capabilities.

ASSUMING ADEQUATE UPLOAD SPEED AT SOURCE AND DOWNLOAD SPEED IN EXTERNAL LOCATION, does the vu+ app (from a Vu DUo - not Vu Duo2) on SD channels produce a similar or better image than Sky go? AND: the transcoding function on the Duo2: does it really produce a HD image that is significantly better than what you can get out of the Vu Duo from a SD channel? Is it really fiddly?

If the answer is: the Vu+ app using Vu duo and SD sports channels produces a pic that is as good as if not better than Sky Go, I prob wouldn't bother getting the Vu Duo2. But if the Vu Duo2 does actually produce a crystal clear HD pic from my Vu+ app via transcoding (one that's good enough to feed to a large HD tv via HDMI and produce a great picture, then I would fork out the extra 200 or so quid. (Subject, of course, to any bugs and gltiches with the transcoding function having been worked out).

I hope everyone gets where I'm coming from and can advise accordingly. Cheers.

How can you assume that the upload data transfer speed of your Internet connection will be enough and stable?
Just assume it as my upload speed is the highest available in the UK. This variable is not the basis for my question. I don't want to get sidetracked on the main thrust of my post

The only problem of Duo2 transcoding image quality is related to the Internet connection upload speed.
If you don't have this problem, nice... now that you know that, then you're done and need no further information or questions on this topic.
Enjoy the transcoding!:yahoo:

Last edited:
Thanks Eragon - feel free to not check into / attempt to discourage others from contributing to this thread again.

I would appreciate some other informed views in response to some of my questions.

@Brian sSheehy : Duo2 maximum transcoding bitrate is 5 Mbps. The reason of transcoding is to have a possibility to watch TV out from local LAN.
SD stream (not transcoded) could have 8 Mbps peaks, HD stream 10 Mbps.

It's up to you, what you want.

So you can't watch channels overseas or whatever without transcoding? Regular streaming is only when you're at home? That seems odd...

So you can't watch channels overseas or whatever without transcoding? Regular streaming is only when you're at home? That seems odd...

What is odd? That the average bitrate of SD channel 720x576 25 fps stereo audio MPEG-2 compression is about 4Mbps? :D.

PS: If your DSL upload speed is 20 Mbps you don't need transcoding ;).

Although I imagine the issue would be the downspeed needed at the hotel / lobby / airport - but that's not something that can be changed!

Back