Vu+ BH Explained

jc0r

Vu+ Newbie
I am interested in this community and have possibly the most simple questions of all but cannot find an answer or wiki anywhere. I've looked on the forums in the newbie / introduction section but there is no mention.

What is Blackhole? I understand its software / os for the Vu+ STB but what is the purpose of it?

Where do Vu+ boxes receive their feeds from. Is there a specific satellite or are the pictures streamed off the internet?

I know this is below all of you but if someone could please give me a quick overview of this project it would be very much appreciated

Many thanks

Basically the VU+ range of satellite receivers are Linux based, which is an operating system, so think of them more as a PC, Personal Computer, than a basic receiver, thus you can load various operating systems, which are known as images, like Black Hole, or others, lime VTI, Vix, OpenPli, etc...
You can also add other software, plugins, to get the receiver to do what you require.
The receivers can be connected to a motorized, or fixed, satellite dish and so can receive signals from most satellites you are capable of receiving, governed by your location and size of satellite dish.
Some of the VU+ range, like the Duo 2, can also be fitted with a terrestrial/cable tuner, so can also receive these transmissions, and can use a USB terrestrial connection, for more viewing.
As they are more similar to a PC, than a basic satellite receiver, then you can also network them, to your PC, and stream content, or even browse the internet, and view internet videos, and feeds.
You can check sites like dishpointer.com, to find what satellites you are capable of receiving, and where best to site your satellite dish, and lyngsat.com, to see what is available.

If you can provide your general location, Country, then we can be more specific, but in general I should start by reading dish setup guides, especially motorized, as many of us upgrade our receivers but tend to stick with our satellite dish, and motor.

a vu + solo reciever is a satellite reciever . blackhole is whats called an image , very simply put an image is the name for the tv software inside the box . an image (the tv software ) can be upgraded to newer versions or even changed . when i say changed i mean that blackhole is just one type /make of image there are others .

so with a vu+ reciiever you can recieve free to air satellite tv channels , and also pay satelllite tv channels . you can also use a vu+ reciever to view iptv , iptv is tv delivered via the internet rather than via satellite .

because an enigma2 box (vu+ solo is enigma 2 ) is so versatile you can do a lot with it . such as you can view youtube etc rom your box on your tv .

as mick said some vu+ boxes allow you the option to use a different or additional tuners , the tuner is in this case a satellite tv tuner used to recieve satellite tv channels , but because these enigma 2 boxes are so versatile you can add a cable tv tuner or terrestrial tuner .

of course if you wish to view satellite tv you will need to install a satellite dish pointed at the satellite that beams channels to your region , that is the satellite which beams channels from your region . you can also get a motorised satellite dish , dish is a dish with a motor , and this allows you to easily move the dish to point at other satellites so that you can view a greater number of channels from many satellites .

viewing iptv channels on a vu require you to have your box connected to your broadband router , you can do this wired by using an ethernet cable , but if your router is a distance from your box a long ethernet cable might be out of the question . in which case you can buy wireless devices that allow your box to recieve the internet signal wirelessly . there are wireless antenna usb dongles that will work , or devices such as homeplugs .

Back