vu+DUO 4K SE OR UNO 4K SE for best picture and sound

ALIEN1X

Vu+ Newbie
Has anyone compared the vu+DUO 4K SE and UNO 4K SE interms of best picture and sound or are tney both the same?
The reason I ask is that im tryng to decide which out the two I shoulld go for, I understand the DUO has the extra tunner, better front LED screen and processor?

Any info would be kindly appreicated

Ev0

Admin
I have both, you would be happy with either of them in terms of picture and sound.

I couldn't say 1 is better than the other in that respect.

If you don't need lots of info on the display and don't need more than 8 sat or cable tuners, then go for the Uno4KSE, if you think you could do with Sat and Cable tuners, or Sat and Twin Terrestrial or 16 sat tuners (demodulators but effectively the same thing when used with Unicable II lnb) and would prefer the larger display then go for the Duo4K SE.

ALIEN1X

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks, that gives me some direction. Can these recievers be used for polar mount motorised dish or is that al done by a VBOX tupe reciever?

ALIEN1X

Vu+ Newbie
You will require a vbox.
My setup at momemt is basic, 90cm motorised dish SET UP with USALS And linux reciever.
What I need to figure out is f I went for a polar mount option , I understand now that I will need a VBox to operate the dish but is a vu+sat reciever still required or just vbox on its own?

Ev0

Admin
My setup at momemt is basic, 90cm motorised dish SET UP with USALS And linux reciever.
What I need to figure out is f I went for a polar mount option , I understand now that I will need a VBox to operate the dish but is a vu+sat reciever still required or just vbox on its own?

The Vu+ / E2 boxes are just a receiver, they are capable of sending a USALS / Diseqc signal to a motor attached to the dish via the lnb cable.

The diseqc / usals motors are small units and not that strong, so generally only used on dishes upto 1.1m (some have used bigger dishes on them with various results, but in strong winds they tend to fail).

A Vbox is used to convert the USALS / Diseqc signal from 12/18v lnb power into 36v to power the actuator connected to a polar mount which uses a separate 4 core cable from the vbox to the actuator.

The 36v polar mount / actuator systems are old now and go back to the 1980's (maybe before) and are generally only used for large dishes (1.2m+) now.

In the old days, you used a receiver and a positioner to move the actuator on the dish, as time went on some receivers included the positioner box inside but it wasn't common.

The Vbox is just a simple positioner nothing more it just sends the power to drive a 36v motorised dish it does not receive any signal or connect to the tv directly.

ALIEN1X

Vu+ Newbie
So if the VBOX was just a positioner then I would still require a reciver i.e VU+ reciever
The only reason I was looking into that option was the reliabiity, rosbustness due to high winds and that they never go out of aligment which my current one dose

Ev0

Admin
So if the VBOX was just a positioner then I would still require a reciver i.e VU+ reciever
The only reason I was looking into that option was the reliabiity, rosbustness due to high winds and that they never go out of aligment which my current one dose
Yes you will still need a receiver, be it your current one or a new Uno4K SE / Duo4K SE.

I can tell you though that even the 36v systems can and do go out of alignment from time to time (actuators wear and they pickup some slight play, which can mean they miss a satellite and need re-adjusting).

But in general yes they are much more robust and far stronger so better with the bigger dishes than a diseqc motor which generally have small plastic cogs and are mounted on thin poles.

el bandido

Vu+ User
Installing a polar mount onto a 90cm would probably be nothing more than a waste of time. Polar mounts are designed for prime focus dishes, and your 90 cm dish is likely to be offset . You will have issues installing an offset dish onto a prime focus mount due to the declination that is needed to track the satellite arc. This will be your main problem.

Then there is the cost. You will need to buy a positioner or dish mover such as Vbox, actuator, and polar mount. All of this together will probably be 2-3 prices of one decent ku motor. Then you will have the headache of installing this stuff and trying to make it work.

Ev0

Admin
Installing a polar mount onto a 90cm would probably be nothing more than a waste of time. Polar mounts are designed for prime focus dishes, and your 90 cm dish is likely to be offset . You will have issues installing an offset dish onto a prime focus mount due to the declination that is needed to track the satellite arc. This will be your main problem.

Then there is the cost. You will need to buy a positioner or dish mover such as Vbox, actuator, and polar mount. All of this together will probably be 2-3 prices of one decent ku motor. Then you will have the headache of installing this stuff and trying to make it work.
You can get polar mounts for offset dishes.

I am using a Channel Master 1.2 with a polar mount and 18" actuator.

el bandido

Vu+ User
I have never seen a polar mount designed specifically for an offset dish. There are polar mounts I have seen sold with offset dishes, but the declination may have to be modified to use them, depending on where you live, make/model of dish, or how far away from center you try to track.

Here is one example: http://www.tek2000.com/cgi-bin/web....=120cm Ku-Band Solid Offset Satellite Dish-ND

Te set the declination angle, you look it up on a table, and adjust your dish accordingly. For offset dish on a polar mount, you need to also have the correct offset in degrees for your particular dish, or use Trial and Error which may take awhile. The declination part of the polar mount may need to be modified a bit to accept an offset dish, or not track far from center, again depending on dish being used and location.

So if there is a polar mount designed specifically for offset dishes, then I would like to know about it. But most of what I have seen is like the one in the link.

el bandido

Vu+ User
Where can I buy a Channel Master offset polar mount like that? I would love to have one! Looks like they designed that mount only for their 1 meter and 1.2 meter dish. I have not looked but I bet the offset for either dish is the same and the correct offset is built into that mount. So it is custom made for those two Channel Master dishes. I say this because there is no mention of the dish offset in the declination setting in the .pdf file.

Here is what might need to3
be done to run the China polar mount and offset dish:
https://www.tvrosat.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=5630

Ev0

Admin
Where can I buy a Channel Master offset polar mount like that? I would love to have one! Looks like they designed that mount only for their 1 meter and 1.2 meter dish. I have not looked but I bet the offset for either dish is the same and the correct offset is built into that mount. So it is custom made for those two Channel Master dishes. I say this because there is no mention of the dish offset in the declination setting in the .pdf file.

Here is what might need to3
be done to run the China polar mount and offset dish:
https://www.tvrosat.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=5630
Yes it's custom made by channel master / andrews / raven (they changed names over the years) for there own dishes.

No idea if they still produce them though.

They also did another one that was for the 1.8m and 2.4m offset dishes they produced.