VU+ Solo HD wifi stick problems

sjalih

Vu+ Newbie
Hi all,

I just bought a VU+ Solo HD and flashed it with black hole. I have 2 USB's:
- linksys AE1200
- Small chinese usb from ebay (nameless)

I would like to use one of these but none of them will work. I tried rebooting the Solo while the wifi stick is plugged but he does not recognise the sticks.

What can i do? Thnx!

Have you formatted the USB sticks to FAT 32, on your PC?
Try a better quality USB stick, they are not too expensive, or just borrow one, to see if it works.

Have you formatted the USB sticks to FAT 32, on your PC?
Try a better quality USB stick, they are not too expensive, or just borrow one, to see if it works.
First of all thank you for your reply. These are wifi usb sticks so i cannot format them.
The small chinese usb from ebay looks like this:
http ://www .ebay. com/itm/WIRELESS-N-WiFi-USB-WLAN-MINI-stick-NETWORK-ADAPTER-DONGLE-stick-usb-port-/221272711979?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3384e1a32b

A Dongle is not a USB stick, it is for wireless internet connection.
You need a normal USB Memory Stick, to load the images.
Once you have the image loaded you can access your VU+ via a FTP program and your PC.

Sorry I just re-read your first post, have you already loaded black hole and are trying to get the USB dongles to work?
I don't really trust any cheap dongles, as they seldom work, and if they do you constantly seem to get drop outs, where the dongle loses the connection.
Have you tried the dongles on your PC? Do they work?
Did you have to download any special drivers?
I would first try them on your PC, and if they don't work, then try downloading drivers from the manufacturers website.
You might also try a forum search, in the VU+ section, to see whch dongles are recommended.
I have seen a thread that advises you use a USB extension cable, to move the dongle away from your receiver, might be worth trying, after trying the Dongles on your PC.
Which image have you got loaded? And which version?

Have you been into the network settings, on your receiver, and checked to see if their is a WLAN option?
If so select it and enter your routers required settings.

Sorry I just re-read your first post, have you already loaded black hole and are trying to get the USB dongles to work?
I don't really trust any cheap dongles, as they seldom work, and if they do you constantly seem to get drop outs, where the dongle loses the connection.
Have you tried the dongles on your PC? Do they work?
Did you have to download any special drivers?
I would first try them on your PC, and if they don't work, then try downloading drivers from the manufacturers website.
You might also try a forum search, in the VU+ section, to see whch dongles are recommended.
I have seen a thread that advises you use a USB extension cable, to move the dongle away from your receiver, might be worth trying, after trying the Dongles on your PC.
Which image have you got loaded? And which version?

Have you been into the network settings, on your receiver, and checked to see if their is a WLAN option?
If so select it and enter your routers required settings.
Thnx mate. I just got home and checked which drivers it uses. The dongle uses the MT7601U drivers which are not out yet for blackhole. So the only thing i can do is wait until this driver has been rewritten for the VU+. Thnx again for the tips ;)

Hi all,

I just bought a VU+ Solo HD and flashed it with black hole. I have 2 USB's:
- linksys AE1200
- Small chinese usb from ebay (nameless)

I would like to use one of these but none of them will work. I tried rebooting the Solo while the wifi stick is plugged but he does not recognise the sticks.

What can i do? Thnx!

Both dongles uses MT7601 chipset? Post "lsusb" output with both sticks connected please.

Back