Vu+ Zero just bought and wont boot

kpaxing

Vu+ Newbie
Hello all,

I just unpacked my new Vu+ Zero and went to test it. I connected external IR sensor, TV with HDMI cable and powered up. I would expect to see First Time Installation but TV only shows "No signal". I tried with different TVs and different HDMI cable without success.

Is it necessary to connect LNB to Vu+ Zero to boot correctly?

I also tried boot sequence with LNB connected but no progress, TV always shows "No signal".

When I power it up, I see that LED blinks fast during a pair of seconds, then goes solid blue, but a light blue, and after some seconds a bright solid blue and remains in this way till power it down after 15 minutes. But TV only shows "No signal" all the time.

Is it a defective unit? Or what am i doing wrong?

Thanks,

Do you see on TV , VU+ Zero Menu ,if you push/press Menu button ?

No, I dont. The problem is that TV seems not receiving any kind of input from Vu+ Zero, because is always saying "No signal". As you say i would expect something even without connecting LNB, but is not showing anything at all. I tried 2 different monitors and 2 different cables with same unsuccessful result.

Any other suggestion or comment is appreciated. I wouldnt want to return Vu+ Zero without being sure that is really defective.

How much time needs to boot in normal conditions?

Thanks for your help.

You should see something, on the television, immediately, as you need to configure it prior to use.
Have you tried loading an image?
It should come installed with the official image, from VU+:
Code:
http://code.vuplus.com/

Mick12334,

No, I didnt try to load a new image. I wanted to be sure that was working correctly before installing image.

I just tested again and this time have connected a network cable to Vu+ and saw that Vu+ Zero was requesting an IP, so I tried to connect Vu+ thru telnet and worked.
So, Vu+ Zero is really booting and is up and running. Now problem is why is not showing anything on TV.

Is there any driver or proces to check? Anything on log to review?

I was checking boot log with dmesg and found something strange:

EBI CS0: setting up NAND flash (primary)
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0xda (Hynix H27U2G8F2CTR-BC)
NAND device: 256MiB, SLC, page size: 2048, OOB size: 64
brcmnand brcmnand.0: 256MiB total, 128KiB blocks, 2KiB pages, 16B OOB, 8-bit, Hamming ECC
Bad block table found at page 131008, version 0x01
Bad block table found at page 130944, version 0x01
nand_read_bbt: bad block at 0x000004da0000
Creating 4 MTD partitions on "brcmnand.0":
0x000002100000-0x000010000000 : "rootfs"

Are these "bad block" messages normal? Could this causing problems with TV output?

As I told you, since this device was received new some days ago is running with official image.

Thanks

Mick12334,

No, I didnt try to load a new image. I wanted to be sure that was working correctly before installing image.

I just tested again and this time have connected a network cable to Vu+ and saw that Vu+ Zero was requesting an IP, so I tried to connect Vu+ thru telnet and worked.
So, Vu+ Zero is really booting and is up and running. Now problem is why is not showing anything on TV.

Is there any driver or proces to check? Anything on log to review?

I was checking boot log with dmesg and found something strange:

EBI CS0: setting up NAND flash (primary)
brcmnand brcmnand.0: 256MiB total, 128KiB blocks, 2KiB pages, 16B OOB, 8-bit, Hamming ECC
Bad block table found at page 131008, version 0x01
Bad block table found at page 130944, version 0x01
nand_read_bbt: bad block at 0x000004da0000
Creating 4 MTD partitions on "brcmnand.0":
0x000002100000-0x000010000000 : "rootfs"

Are these "bad block" messages normal? Could this causing problems with TV output?

As I told you, since this device was received new some days ago is running with official image.

Thanks
Bad block table is not a problem.
Every NAND device has it's own list of bad block.
The two entries into log mean that there are TWO bad block tables avaiable, nothing more.
If you have logged into your box, the problem can be in the HDMI part. Try with AV cable and if works correctly, try with another HDMI cable or another TV... only to check where is the problem, of course.

angelofsky1980,

Thanks for your clarification, you are right now the problem is probably on HDMI part. Your suggested test is good.

Searching for a monitor with AV IN....

Good news, angelofsky1980 your suggestion has clarified the issue.

I found a monitor with AV in and tried, this time "Smart linux TV player loading" message appeared on screen and finally the wellcome start wizard. So, with AV things are working ok.

After that, I tried again with HDMI cable and same issue, "No signal" on screen. Then, I moved a little bit HDMI female connector on Vu+ and suddenly screen showed wellcome start wizard. So,
it seems that HDMI connector on Vu+ box was causing the problem.

Do you know if this is a known issue in Vu+? I mean problematic HDMI female connector.

Should I return the unit? Or I can trust that once is working no more problems will appear with HDMI.

Thanks again for your help,

It sounds like a faulty component, I would contact your supplier and explain the problem.
They should replace the receiver.

Back