Which channels can the VU+ box recieve, more than just freesat ?

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Sorry for such a simple question but when it comes to the bigger picture of how satellites transmit etc I am 'dazed and confused'. This came out of another thread I posted but is a separate question really.

I have always used Freesat+ so I recieved what it sent, but this seems to be just a part of what is on the satellite ? So if I have a VU+box should I be able to see all channels SKY etc. I assume the Freesat+ OSG only shows certain transponders and ignores others.

I saw a demo on youtube of the OpenVIX Zeus Image (one of many possibilities I know) and it seemed to show a lot of channels including SKY etc.

I know some will be encrypted but many will be FTA so would be of interest to me. Am I right in thinking a VU+ box will give me access to all channels.
My reason for using Freesat+ is that it tends to do all the work (series record etc) for me but I can live with manually recording via time and channel. One advantage of VU+ here seems to be it's ability to recored more than 2 channels. This would allow me to add 5 mins either end of a recording to allow for late running but avoid the conflicts this can cause.

I have been looking around and initially thought of the Solo2 but have seen a Duo1, doesen't seem to be a great deal of difference from my point of view ?

Any comments / help appreciated.

a911

The BH Lover
Vu+ STB, will give U only FTA channels, however if U have the official cards from the channels providers/package providers ,such as Beinsport,,,etc!
You can get a card reader and use the 2 card sluts @ the front of the STB.

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
That sounds ok, will it show such as Sky movies as not available without a card or does it not show them at all. My current freesat box (Humax) doesen't show Movies or sports channels not FTA.
Looking at the FTA channels on wikipedia FTA list for Astra2 that is pretty much what I have on Freesat+

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Robocop, not sure what your point is ? You may be confused by the phrase 'will it show such as Sky movies as not available without a card' which means just what it says, will it show the channels but tell me I need a card ?

My question is a subject for new people to VU+ boxes. The boxes obviously take viewing cards so if I have a Sky card I can access Sky content, but not if the VU+ Image doesn't show it.

I have an old Sky box which I no longer subscribe to but it shows me all Sky channels, but as I have no card I get an 'encrypted' message when I select movie or sports. That is correct.
If the VU+ Image does not show them then no matter if I have a Sky card I won't be able to access them because they are not shown at all, that was my question so I will rephrase it which may help.

As the VU+ box has slots for viewing cards does the software (Images) show all channels on the satellite so I can select what I want to pay to see ?
I am a movie fan (not Sports) so would be interested in any movie channels other than the usual film4 ones I get now.

I saw a youtube video of OpenVix Zeus (one possible Image) and it seemed to have loads of content, way more than the standard lists on Astra.
So I was asking if this is normal and if I bought a VU+ box and pointed it at Astra2 would I see all of the channels on the youtube video ?
There seemed a lot I had never heard of, some may even be FTA ?, but are they on different satellites so I would need a motorised dish ? I may consider doing that if there are enough movie channels of interest.

I would still like to know what channels it shows as I would assume being effectively a PC it would see everything on all transponders ?
I am looking for a good movie channel source, I would use such as Netflix but as I am in France I can't use them, UK only. Sky is all or nothing as I would (if in the UK) have to pay for the full service but generally only watch BBC/ITV/CH4 and CH4 movies as I dislike the logos (Dogs) on other channels so tend not to bother.

So to be specific, if VU+ can allow me access to other Movie channels it would interest me greatly, does anyone know which ones are available.

Mick12334

You can scan in all the channels. but encrypted channels will just show the scrambled message.
As already mentioned no other discussion is permitted. Sky cards are only supposed to be used in official Sky receivers.
There are other FTA, Free to Air, movie channels, on other satellites, mostly with only a foreign soundtrack but you can find some, like the MBC channels, on 26E, that have an English soundtrack and foreign subtitles.

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Ah, you should have stated that before. I didn't know the cards were only to be used in Sky recievers, I assumed the comment was suggesting I wanted an illegal Sky card.
Next time just say, the VU+ recieves all channels but Sky cards can not be legally used in it only in approved Sky recievers.

On the channels front seems I may as well stick with standard Freesat and buy movies on DVD as required. One reason I no longer subscribe to paid sat provider, I was paying about £45/month and only watched the movie channels so I figured I could buy about 10 DVDs a month for that amount.
Thanks for the help in deciding though, much appreciated.