Internal SATA 5400 vs 7200 and which SATA version is best?

Montay

Vu+ Newbie
I'm looking at getting an internal 2.5 1TB Sata drive for a Solo 2 but I'm not sure if the speed of a 7200 drive makes a lot of difference compared to a 5400 speed. What are the pros and cons?

Also is Sata 2 a better choice than SATA 1 or does it not make much difference in a satellite box?

Has anyone used a SATA 3 is a solo 2?

paolino

Vu+ User+++
I'm looking at getting an internal 2.5 1TB Sata drive for a Solo 2 but I'm not sure if the speed of a 7200 drive makes a lot of difference compared to a 5400 speed. What are the pros and cons?

Also is Sata 2 a better choice than SATA 1 or does it not make much difference in a satellite box?

Has anyone used a SATA 3 is a solo 2?

Check here for HDD performance: http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/my-hdd-performance-test.13450/

7200 heats more, Solo2 has a Sata III interface.

By my opinion is enough 5400 RPM Sata II interface HDD which needs only about 500 mA of power to run.
Most important is format it in ext4 file system (speed)

Montay

Vu+ Newbie
How much difference does the buffer make? Would a HDD with a bigger buffer work better? Is the following HDD a good choice for the solo2?

Samsung HN-M101MBB
2.5"
1TB
Sata II
5400 RPM
8MB buffer

(I tried to post the link but I'm not allowed yet)

sunespeg

Vu+ Newbie
I would go for a "green power" or "intelli power '. They are typically cheap compared to capacity, quiet (important to me) and use less power. The minus : they don't perform as a typical 7200rpm, but I have not found anything on a stb or media center that could max out a HD yet. Even a slow disk easily handles 30MB/sec, no HD stream is near a third of that).

Sent from HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

paolino

Vu+ User+++

ufuksolo2

Vu+ Newbie
WD5000LPVX 500GB Blue - 2,5" SATA III, 8MB, 5400RPM is more than enough (speed performance) for my solo2.
Data transfer rates
Interface speed 6 Gb/s and the Internal Transfer rate is 147Mb/s