Access to Solo2 HDD from Windows, file copying

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Can anyone advise on this please.
I want to use the VU+ Solo2 (probably with BH Image) as it can let me see the HDD as part of my network, so I can copy files to my PC HDD, I think ?
Only thing I am not sure of is that the Solo2 HDD will be Linux Ext3 formatted ? and windows can't see that, or is there something in the software that lets it read Linux HDDs.

Basically I want to record movies I like etc and then keep a copy to watch in the future (I do this with my current Humax).
So as VU+ BH has a network connection I guess the fact that it is Linux doesen't matter. I have been looking for conversion software for EXT3 to Ntfs etc but all seems a bit complex.

I have no idea how all this works (always a PC man) so can anyone clarify please. I guess BH will record a file as Mpeg-2 or similar in Ext3 file, so if I copy it to an Ntfs HDD it will still be an Mpeg-2 file just on the windows drive ?

jwlalek

Vu+ User
Enigma software always records into .ts extension. You can play recorded files on your computer with no problem (you have to download your video files to your computer before you watch tchem). Your Solo2 HDD is visible on your PC, laptop, etc. if you create a FTP connection (using Total Commander for example: "Net-->FTP Connect...-->New connection..."). You can copy files in both ways.

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks so obviously no problem as such.
I was just unsure how the PC talked to Linux as they use different file systems. I read that Linux can read/write to Ntfs but a windows PC can not go the other way.
I suppose that Linux on the VU+ is taking charge in some way.

At least there is the control centre (as per the link) which can do it regardless.
I assume copying a file from Fat32 to Ntfs is the same as from these to Ext3, or vice versa. Been spoiled as the old humaxes converted as they copied, downside was a max of 4gb files as only copied to fat32.

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
You can activate the Samba server in BH, so you can reach your receiver's resources (flash , HDD and USB) through the standard Windows Network resource browser, and access your remote files with all the usual Windows application.
And in this way you don't have to worry about ext3, ext4, ntfs, fat32, etc...;)

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
I must admit BH seens the most used option and does all I want and more, as do some others, but as it has more of a following then seems a good choice for add ons and support.
I don't have the box or software yet so am 'flying blind' in that respect so please excuse the lack of understanding. Like all these things once you use something it all starts to make sense.

Samba sounds like a good option if it just lets me look at the VU+ HDD (regardless of that format it is) from my PC and copy files to my Win7 Ntfs hard drive for editing.
Does BH hold the files in uncompressed format ? I ask as if I copy them to my PC and they need further work that may be a problem, same for all PVRs I think.
I assume they are Mpeg2/4 .ts files so I could just read them into my video editor ?

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks Paolino, short and to the point. That is what I wanted someone to confirm, that the files are Mpeg standard ones uncompressed that should be processable by normal software.
Very hard to get someone to say that. I have e-mailed other manufacturers and asked this but they always evade it, saying such as files are .ts which is fine but .ts what ? Thanks again.