Can I get a TiVO style experience with the VU+ Solo 2?

Montay

Vu+ Newbie
Hi. I'm looking to purchase a VU+ Solo 2 as my new main box but I would like to be able to series record and pause, rewind and forward live TV. I'd also like to have the option to start watching a show whilst it's still recording like I can do on Sly.

Can this be achieved with a Solo2?

Also if I am only viewing one satellite (28.2) then is there any point or benefit in getting the Duo 2 instead of the Solo 2?

fizzz33

Vu+ Newbie
First question yes to all. You would need a plugin called Autotimer for recording series and Timeswitch for pausing/rewind etc. You can also watch programmes that are recording from the start of the recording. You would also need a hard drive to record to and 2 Lnbs in.
Second Duo2 has extra features which you have to pay extra for. Duo 2 would be the best box to have if you can afford it, its all down to personal choice and whats affordable.

boyofford

Vu+ User
As far as I know the main advantages of duo2 are extra tuners and better transcoding compared to the solo2.

Solo2 is quite a small box compared to duo2, that's why I didn't upgrade to duo2 in the end.

Both boxes will do what you asked for as said.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Montay

Vu+ Newbie
@boyofford That's what i thought, the main advantage of a Duo2 was if you had a motorised satellite or something like that.

@fizzz33 Is it necessary to add plugins for that functionality. Are there any images which do that out of the box?

yummer

BH Lover
The main advantages over solo 2 is hardware is better for transcoding. And you can fit more plug and play tuners. Full specs are on vu website.

Timeshift does not require extra plugin on black hole It is standard.

Auto timer is easy to install as its on the download section on blackhole server.

Montay

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks yummer. I'm quite new to this so will I sound dumb if I ask what transcoding is and what I would use it for?

I plan to move the recordings to my PC, is it anything to do with the format that will take? Also what format does the Solo2 record in?

Montay

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks Yummer. So can I record two channels (eg BBC1 and Channel 4) and watch a recording like I could with my old Sky box?

yummer

BH Lover
Thanks Yummer. So can I record two channels (eg BBC1 and Channel 4) and watch a recording like I could with my old Sky box?
Yes as long as you've got 2 feeds from your dish mate. You can even record 2 and watch a third live if its on the same transponder as the recordings. Or add a further USB tuner and record stream or watch more if you have a spare feed and can run another cable from your dish. I.e if you have a quad or octo lnb etc.

And yes you can always watch what's on the HDD if all your tuners are being used for recordings. You can also stream to other devices either on your local network. Or anywhere if you've got a decent upload speed by getting a dyndns account or similar so it acts like a sling box too.

Montay

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks yummer, I think .ts is more likely.

I received my Solo2 and it's scanning for channels right now. It's on VIX because I was told that is easier to start with and I'm going to try Blackhole once I've got the hang of VIX.

My HDD arrives tomorrow. Any advice on how to set up the VIX to be Tivo like?

yummer

BH Lover
Thanks yummer, I think .ts is more likely.

I received my Solo2 and it's scanning for channels right now. It's on VIX because I was told that is easier to start with and I'm going to try Blackhole once I've got the hang of VIX.

My HDD arrives tomorrow. Any advice on how to set up the VIX to be Tivo like?
Sorry mate never really used vix but it prob is the same ... You'll want plugin autotimer. Try w.o.s forum theyre home of vix image

Montay

Vu+ Newbie
Ok I've installed the latest blackhole image and installed a 1TB HDD in my Solo2 but how do I format it to ext4 and set it to record?

yummer

BH Lover
Ok I've installed the latest blackhole image and installed a 1TB HDD in my Solo2 but how do I format it to ext4 and set it to record?
Menu>setup>system>hard drive>initialisation. Click on HDD then press red. This will format your HDD in ext4 in the latest image of BH m8

yummer

BH Lover
I find the easiest way to record for me is by using autotimer plugin ...alongside coolmantvguide plugin do you have both of these?

Montay

Vu+ Newbie
I initialised the HDD and formatted it It took a couple of minutes, is that right for a 1TB HDD? On my laptop it takes ages.

I'm trying to record to the HDD but cant find a guide. When I try to mount the HDD it's not in the mount list in extra settings. Am I missing a step somewhere?