Curious about flashing and pvr kit…

jocke90s

Vu+ Newbie
I wonder something else regarding the pvr kit harddrive. If I should flash a new image, its better to use 2gb/4gb usb right?
And Do I need to remove the pvr kit from the vu + zero while flashing new firmware? Maybe a stupid question But I want to be sure.
Thanks in advance.

Mick12334

Your image flashes into the receivers menu, not your PVR, but occasionally a device, attached by USB, to your receiver, can cause problems, and stop the image from flashing. If this happens just unplug any other USB attached devices and re-connect after the image has finished flashing.
I have to do this with a USB keyboard, that I have attached, but re-connect it when the image has loaded, and the receiver is re-booting.
The size of the USB stick doesn't matter, I tend to use 2 cheap Toshiba USB sticks, as they have always worked, one 8GB, and the other 16Gb.

jocke90s

Vu+ Newbie
yes But my pvr harddrive is not connected by usb. So i can use that while Im flashing I guess?
Your image flashes into the receivers menu, not your PVR, but occasionally a device, attached by USB, to your receiver, can cause problems, and stop the image from flashing. If this happens just unplug any other USB attached devices and re-connect after the image has finished flashing.
I have to do this with a USB keyboard, that I have attached, but re-connect it when the image has loaded, and the receiver is re-booting.
The size of the USB stick doesn't matter, I tend to use 2 cheap Toshiba USB sticks, as they have always worked, one 8GB, and the other 16Gb.

AlexWilMac

You are making a lot of confusion: you, @jocke90s , keep calling this appendix PVR hardrive...
And you @Mick, thinking he's referring to install the image not in flash but in the harddrive OF THE kit. He's not. ;)

The PVR kit is... a kit, as of its name, meaning you can attach this kit (which has a HDD in it) and have a HDD in the Zero4K, too.
But the port where you attach the kit is the 2nd USB port of the same USB interface. The kit is connected to a port placed at the bottom of the Zero4K which is a normal USB port.
And every USB ports of every computers or motherboards is a bus with two ports. In Zero4K only one channel is connected to a normal USB connector. The other channel goes to this bottom connector.
So the PVR kit does not connect its HDD by a SATA channel but by a USB one.

For instance, I didn't buy the kit but I used a male/male connector to use a normal motherboard cable.

But, jocke90s, in theory should not be necessary to disconnect the kit to flash by the normal port. I say "should not" because I haven't tried. But, even so, it's not a tragedy to disconnect it for a moment! After all, you'll immediately understand if the box is flashing (then from your USB stick in the normal USB port) or not.

jocke90s

Vu+ Newbie
oh okey. Thank you for learning me more about the pvr kit. I didnt knew it was attached by usb. Haha.
no I mean I whould install it in flash. But instructions when flash new image says you should disconnect all usb units. So thats why Im asking. But now I know i can still have the pvr connected and save the firmware in the flashmemory.
You are making a lot of confusion: you, @jocke90s , keep calling this appendix PVR hardrive...
And you @Mick, thinking he's referring to install the image not in flash but in the harddrive OF THE kit. He's not. ;)

The PVR kit is... a kit, as of its name, meaning you can attach this kit (which has a HDD in it) and have a HDD in the Zero4K, too.
But the port where you attach the kit is the 2nd USB port of the same USB interface. The kit is connected to a port placed at the bottom of the Zero4K which is a normal USB port.
And every USB ports of every computers or motherboards is a bus with two ports. In Zero4K only one channel is connected to a normal USB connector. The other channel goes to this bottom connector.
So the PVR kit does not connect its HDD by a SATA channel but by a USB one.

For instance, I didn't buy the kit but I used a male/male connector to use a normal motherboard cable.

But, jocke90s, in theory should not be necessary to disconnect the kit to flash by the normal port. I say "should not" because I haven't tried. But, even so, it's not a tragedy to disconnect it for a moment! After all, you'll immediately understand if the box is flashing (then from your USB stick in the normal USB port) or not.

AlexWilMac

It's not connected by a USB connector but the connection is made by a USB bus with a different type of connector.
That's why I said I cannot be sure flashing won't be affected, but in case it'd be very easy to disconnect the kit.

el bandido

Vu+ User
How can something so simple be turned into a complicated thing? There are other threads about this same problem on different forums, so I guess the answers at other places are not good enough???

Anyway, I own a Vu+ Zero 4K with the pvr kit. Paid waaay too much for it, but that is a different story. Install the hard drive in the pvr kit, then install it in the receiver and forget about it. You can flash images or do anything else you wish from the hard drive. It doesn't get any simpler than this...