Duo2 firmware question

bsod

Vu+ Newbie
Hi all,

My DUO2 finally arrived today and have just spent the last hour or so setting it up. I do have a question relating to the firmware though. According to the VU+ website, the latest release from VU+ is 2.1, dated 13th Feb 2013. When I went to the information page on my DUO2 there was no version number displayed, however the following text was, "Factory experimental build" or something very close to that. I am just wondering if I should go through and apply 2.1 off the website or stick with what I have.

I am pretty sure this IS NOT a clone unit. It was purchased from the Australian VU+ distributor, so I would hope not. Using the examples on the VU+ website on clone detecting, none of the things they said to look for were on my box/unit. I have taken some pics of the innards when I put in the HDD so I suppose I could upload them somewhere if someone could tell me if it looks legit or not.

So, should I keep this "Factory experimental" version? What do people think?

Regards,

Craig

stick50jr

Vu+ Newbie
Hi all,

My DUO2 finally arrived today and have just spent the last hour or so setting it up. I do have a question relating to the firmware though. According to the VU+ website, the latest release from VU+ is 2.1, dated 13th Feb 2013. When I went to the information page on my DUO2 there was no version number displayed, however the following text was, "Factory experimental build" or something very close to that. I am just wondering if I should go through and apply 2.1 off the website or stick with what I have.

I am pretty sure this IS NOT a clone unit. It was purchased from the Australian VU+ distributor, so I would hope not. Using the examples on the VU+ website on clone detecting, none of the things they said to look for were on my box/unit. I have taken some pics of the innards when I put in the HDD so I suppose I could upload them somewhere if someone could tell me if it looks legit or not.

So, should I keep this "Factory experimental" version? What do people think?

Regards,

Craig

FWIW: I have used both BlackHole and Vix images on my Duo2. Both are good. I have loaded the latest "Factory experimental build" but didn't like it.

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
I am pretty sure this IS NOT a clone unit. It was purchased from the Australian VU+ distributor, so I would hope not.
Welcome new Duo2 owner!
There aren't yet Duo2 clones, too difficult and probably for now too expensive to imitate, so don't worry.

Vu+ original images are generally only used to initially test the new receiver just out-of-the-box, then almost soon one has to choose an image to flash.
This board is dedicated to the Black Hole image.:)

bsod

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks everyone. I did see the Black Hole specific forums, but didn't realise the whole board was dedicated to Black Hole. Sorry.

Stick50jr, I agree, the VU+ firmware is pretty ordinary, though compared to my previous PVR it is big upgrade. I have downloaded the latest BH image and will probably try flashing that tonight. I ended up putting in a Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB drive, formatted as ext4. Bit of an upgrade from the 120Gb HDD in my old PVR!

With regard to DUO2 clones, I did come across a lot of adds for them on some website, the sellers were mostly in China and they were cheap. The accompanying pics and specs seem to be lifted directly off the VU+ website, but they were making some rather odd claims such as 8Gb of flash ram. Of course what they advertise and actually ship could be (and most likely are) completely different. One vendor even claimed to be the official manufacturer of the VU+ DUO. If true I don't think VU+ would be too happy with them.

Must admit, I was surprised with the tuner connectors. I was expecting a PCI/PCIe styled connector, but these seem to be either a IDE or PCMCIA style connector. Odd choice unless VU+ don't want users putting in non VU+ tuners. If that's the case it's a pity as there are some dual tuner PCI based cards now and it would have been nice to plonk one into the DUO2, providing there was driver support. Maybe VU+ will produce them at some point in the future. Just need to source a 2nd internal /t2 tuner and some USB tuners.

All in all though I really like this unit. Nice build quality, the remote is great, wifi works well.

Regards,

Craig

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
With regard to DUO2 clones, I did come across a lot of adds for them on some website, the sellers were mostly in China and they were cheap. The accompanying pics and specs seem to be lifted directly off the VU+ website, but they were making some rather odd claims such as 8Gb of flash ram. Of course what they advertise and actually ship could be (and most likely are) completely different. One vendor even claimed to be the official manufacturer of the VU+ DUO. If true I don't think VU+ would be too happy with them.
If you have found web sites possibly selling Duo2 clones please send a private message to this forum administrators with their URLs, so that they can report all that to the Vu+.

bsod

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Eragon,

will do. Just need to find the URL again. As soon as I do I'll PM it to you, assuming I can use URLs in PMs being a new user and all.

Regards,

Craig