EPG text unreadable in HD channels

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
Can anyone suggest why the text in the EPG of HD channels is as follows, whilst in the normal channels all is fine?
The box is a VU+ Duo 2 using a terrestrial input only; new in July 2014, with BlackHole 2.1.0 and I am using OpenWebif and the multiepg at myurl/ajax/multiepg2.

Thank you,

James S
WebifEPGClip.JPG

ArchVillan

Vu+ Newbie
I am also experiencing this same problem running BlackHole 2.1.5 on a Du02 with the new dvb-c/dvb-t2 tuner. However I have noticed that it is not limited to HD channels - Motors TV and Film4+1 which are SD also show the same problem. I think they are on the same mux as some HD channels and transmit in dvb-t2. Frustratingly Channel4+1HD sometimes shows some correct text in the now/next epg display. Is the only fix for this at the moment to switch to the Vix image ?.
I should add that the issue applies to the on-screen epg display just as much as to the Open Webif problem described by the original poster.

Matrix10

Administrator
I read this interesting discussion.
Did you test the problem on the original image ?
Probably there is a problem ?
If so ,have you sent VU + the same questions.
Specifically, you should know that we make images based on VU +
and not on the basis of PLI and Vix
It has its positive and negative sides.
We do not want to paint image base with BH coding and then no longer be on the VU + line.
There are so many things that could be better but in this case we get out of changes and fixes from VU +.
So we chose this line VU + in making images.

ArchVillan

Vu+ Newbie
It would appear that this is not a problem unique to BH. Other forums for various DVB-T devices report the same problem and elsewhere on these forums there are discussions about the 'encrypted' EPG for Freeview HD channels. The encryption is in fact a compression technique (Huffman coding) that is part of the DRM-based strategy for protecting the copyright of HD recordings made using a DVB-T2 decoder. It appears that the code tables needed to decrypt the HD EPG are supplied free, but under license, to manufacturers who undertake to implement DRM with respect to recordings made with their devices. The same strategy is claimed to be used with Freesat HD channels, but my Vu+Duo2 running BH 2.1.5 gives me a perfectly readable EPG on the HD channels at 28.2E. I wonder how ...

ArchVillan

Vu+ Newbie
FWIW I've managed to set up a work-round based on editing the aliases.conf file. I use crossepg and aliases.conf is in /usr/crossepg/aliases. I simply added lines specifying the NID,TSID and SID of each source channel (Freesat) and the corresponding destination channel (Freeview) and when crossepg downloads the epg, either scheduled or ad-hoc, it copies the info for the specified channels from the source to the destination. It's not perfect - I had to suppress eit epg display in the info-bar for example, which affects all channels on all satellites - but it is an acceptable work-round for me at least.