FTA recording problems

Tony il Capo

Vu+ Newbie
Hi :)
I bought a vu+2 duo2 (twin DVBS2) last week and flashed BH... before I was on a spark7162 based stb running enigma so I got around easily.
I have set tuner B to a monoblock LNB(13+19E) and tuner A to 28E, just like I had on the other stb.
No problems watching and zapping between them.

Today I've started to record stuff from 28E (tuner B) and I was able to change channel to the other tuner normally until I zap 2 or 3 more channels (tuner A) and stb freezes with "busy" icon like forever, but channel still playing. I've waited but no luck, I had to power it off on the back.

I've reproduced this many times, even tried to record from tuner A then go watch and zap on tuner B and the same issue happens. I even tried to set tuner to repeat diseqc signals but no luck.

If you guys have any ideia what is causing this please help :confused:
Maybe the LNB? But I've never had this before in the other receiver.
Again, I only watch fta channels, it's more than enough for me!

Mick12334

How have you got the Monoblock Tuner set up?
You first state the Monoblock is in Tuner A, then in Tuner B, does this mean you've tried both?
Have you tried recording on 19.2E and viewing 13E, or vice versa?

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Have you tried recording on 19.2E and viewing 13E, or vice versa?
If I've understood well, this should not be possible as for his current setup (monoblock 19.2/13.0).

His possible combinations should be only:
19.2 + 28
13 + 28

Tony il Capo

Vu+ Newbie
Let me be more clear.

Tuner A is configured to a single sat - 28ªE, all channels are working normally (all BBC, Channel 5, ITV....)

Tuners B is configured to use Hotbird 13ºE + Astra 19.2ºE from a monoblock LNB, port A to 13 + port B to 19
All channels working - Rai Sport, RT Doc HD, supertennisHD... Eurosport Deutschland, D17...

Of course I can't watch channels form hotbird 13 when recording from astra 19, same tuner, same feed

The problem with this set up is that if I start recording from one tuner then change channel to the other tuner, it changes normally but it freezes when I zap more channels in that free tuner (the one that I'm not recording). Channels still playing but box freezes with busy icon on screen.

Mick12334

Thank you, that rules out that you are using an extra Diseqc switch, to add the monoblock, and 28.2E feed, to both tuners.
Is Tuner B configured in Simple mode?
You shouldn't be experiencing this problem, especially as this only happens when recording, and seems to work normally when not attempting to use both tuners.
Is your VU+ Duo 2 genuine?
it could be a faulty tuner card, a problem with the Monoblock Diseqc system, or quite a few things.
One simple thing, to check, is the system information, prior to recording, and after a recording has begun, press the Blue button, followed by the yellow button, on your remote.
Can you hear the fan working, when this problem occurs?

Tony il Capo

Vu+ Newbie
Yes, the stb is genuine. Temperatures are normal, below 40ºC, fan manual set (~1100rpm) and I can hear it spinning, lots of free ram and low cpu usage

I tested a bit more and same happens when PiP between the two tuners. The weird thing is that the box only freezes after change channel 2 or 3 times, when I change channel for the first time after start recording it works normally until I zap more 2 or 3 channels. Then freezes with busy icon on screen with infobar also frozen but picture of channel still playing normally.

This at first seems a software problem because channels tune in but stb freezes, later I'll try test more settings and even try other lnb.
Could this be too much power consumption by lnb?

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
You didn't say which BH version you're using...

BTW, start with a new image flashing without any backup restore and plugin installation, only setup the 2 tuners and mount the HDD/USB, and then check if the problem still occurs.

Tony il Capo

Vu+ Newbie
I have last version - 2.1.6
When I flashed it was a "new" installation, no settings/bouquets restored.
If the problem persists I will try to flash again... still have to try some things first

I'm not much of an advanced user, I'm wondering if it's possible to see via telnet why the box is "busy" (frozen)?

Mick12334

The Duo 2 is designed to be able to work with 4 tuners, each capable of handling numerous LNB's, and configurations.

Do you have another hard drive, you can test? If so try replacing the hard drive, configuring it, then recording, and zapping through channels, to see if this might be the problem.

Tony il Capo

Vu+ Newbie
Hi again

I've tried many things:
-set recording to other hd
-new lnb on both lines (I got spare ones, planning to set up more dishes)
-removed monoblock and replaced it with a regular one, only hotbird was received in this way
-changed tuner configuration from simple to advanced and vice versa, played with voltage-diseqc command repeats, etc
No luck here!

Finally I flashed BH again and straight away configured tuners and scanned channels.
No plugins or other configurations were made besides the tuners.

Now I can record and then zap to the free tuner normally, no freezes, I've changed channel many times and no problem.:)
:suda:

Now I 'm wondering what I've done wrong before, I've installed some plugins, customized many stuff like lcd and other settings...organized favorites via webif...not sure what caused this.
I will go slowly now and I think that at every thing I change I'll test if have that weird problem!
Hope this not happens again

Thanks guys for your help

Mick12334

Make a full backup, when you're happy it's running as you want, I would also use DreamboxEdit to make a backup of your channels.

NoFracking

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Tony, all,
my issue with BH 2.1.5 sounds very similar. I have started with my vu+ project two weeks ago. Since then I 've been even unable to play any recording.

I checked on the system status and identified that the memory is all the time high by 96% usage. I tried to give some swap-space but wasn't able to convince the system to use it.

Next weekend I will do a complete factory reset and install everything from the scretch. Will update you on my success to this.

best regards,
Matthias

Matrix10

Administrator
If this is related to DUO2
It is a receiver that works fantastically well.
The second is that if you experimenting with plugins , configurations and so on and corrupt image and configurations.

When you're done with experiments
Install a clean image with the appropriate configurations clean HDD and there will be no major problems.

Matrix10

Administrator
Hi again

I've tried many things:
-set recording to other hd
-new lnb on both lines (I got spare ones, planning to set up more dishes)
-removed monoblock and replaced it with a regular one, only hotbird was received in this way
-changed tuner configuration from simple to advanced and vice versa, played with voltage-diseqc command repeats, etc
No luck here!

Finally I flashed BH again and straight away configured tuners and scanned channels.
No plugins or other configurations were made besides the tuners.

Now I can record and then zap to the free tuner normally, no freezes, I've changed channel many times and no problem.:)
:suda:

Now I 'm wondering what I've done wrong before, I've installed some plugins, customized many stuff like lcd and other settings...organized favorites via webif...not sure what caused this.
I will go slowly now and I think that at every thing I change I'll test if have that weird problem!
Hope this not happens again

Thanks guys for your help

If you experimenting with tuner configurations
it is possible that in the setting file remain bad configurations, by making a conflict with the new parameters.
It can happen in many situations,file corrupted ...
Let's say because of the image crash ,or you not
shutdown box on not correct way.

It is best to enter in the first image configuration correct settings for the tuner configurations
and do not change, the number of times.

Tony il Capo

Vu+ Newbie
It's all OK for me now. Like I said the problem was resolved by reflashing and setting up everything again.
Now I have all plugins I need, made a lot of customization and all still OK.
I'm very happy with this box/image, still I wish some things were different. I feel that it's kinda limited by software...