Request HD Shift

barbatrukko

Vu+ User
Hi,
I have a Vu Duo and now I had also a Vu Duo2.
My Vu Duo run old BH 2.X
If I move HD from Vu Duo to Vu Duo 2 and install over HD new 3.0.4, the recorded file on HDD are preserved?

so
1) Move HDD from Duo -> duo2
2) Start with usb and new BH Image
3) install and configure......
4) have problem?
5) preserve existing file on HDD (i mean .TS file) ?

Best regards

Mick12334

The installation, of Blackhole 3.0.4, shouldn't affect the hard drive, but you might have to map the drive.
You can backup your recordings, onto your PC, then transfer them back, once the hard drive is installed in your Duo2.
Hopefully the Duo2 will recognize the hard drive and you can access the recordings.

barbatrukko

Vu+ User
uhm, i have near 1TB of data and no space now on PC.

So i can install BH without HD and after try to connect and map and see if HD is visibole without make strange operation?

Mick12334

You can do it either way round.
Just make sure you don't format the hard drive, if the VU+ Duo2 requests that on booting.
It might just find the hard drive and allow you to view the recordings.
Worst case scenario should be that you have to move it back to the Duo and buy a new hard drive, for your Duo2, or transfer it to your PC, and try accessing it.
If you have recordings, on the hard drive, that you want to keep, transfer them, to your PC, and burn them to disk, or save them to USB devices.

barbatrukko

Vu+ User
OK, i will try simple way.....
If System ask me to make "strange" operation on HDD I will delay up to find storage for backup more important file.

Thanks!

barbatrukko

Vu+ User
Hi to all.

I write for other people: all ok

1) on new Duo2 installed new BH 3.0.4
2) did setup and settings
3) power off, open, added HD from old Duo
4) boot again
5) System see hdd file, I can record new program, see old recording, install picon, etc

Only HD don't be usefull to teletransport.... but can be ok, I don't enabled on previous Duo, so I suppose can't add now.

AlexWilMac

Image are installed in flash and they never ask to format any disks: the disk are not involved at all in the process. Only, you need to map the disk after the installation. You can connect your HDD even before the installation.

Mick12334

Correct, images are stored in the flash memory, but I installed my hard drive, out of my PC, prior to installing Blackhole, a number of years ago, when I first got my receiver, and because the disk wasn't recognized it had to be formattted, once I installed Blackhole.
The same can happen in any device, including PC's, and if you just click, before reading, you can start formatting.
Do not automatically trust technology, and always backup important data.
I've worked on too many PC's, from Windows 3.1 up, and including Linux operating systems, to ever issue such a definitative statement.

AlexWilMac

Yes, you are absolutely right about backup but I also have worked a lot, since 1984, on computers, Macs, Linux and everything else; only, talking about VU+ images, I've never seen this question about formatting, not even with 2.1.4, my first image ever. ;)
I think I've flashed something like 100 hundreds times, so far, a VU+ and neither the wizard nor anything else has asked me to format. And my HDD is always there. Now, in the HDD I've also the OMB system, so it would be a disaster if OBH or BH did that ;)
I think this is the first thing I learned and noticed about VU+ because, a few days after having used my first one, I decided to reflash it and I had all my HDD files still there.
Is probably different if you put a new HDD, not partitioned or formatted. But this is not the case of barbatrukko.