How can i setup samba password

ashehzad

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Guys,

I want to enable samba restrictions, i was going to change the password. I could not find ouy smbpassword utility. At the moment i can only see a password file: etc/samba/private/smbpasswd which is 0 length.

Thanks,
Asim

Tamaki

Administrator
Hi Guys,

I want to enable samba restrictions, i was going to change the password. I could not find ouy smbpassword utility. At the moment i can only see a password file: etc/samba/private/smbpasswd which is 0 length.

Thanks,
Asim
I think samba passwd is the same of the box passwd.
You can set trough telnet, passwd command.

ashehzad

Vu+ Newbie
I think samba passwd is the same of the box passwd.
You can set trough telnet, passwd command.
Thanks for your reply.

By default, samba does not ask for password just becuase security is set to 'share' in smb.conf file.

So what i wanted is, i need authentication for samba, so i changed the "security = user" in smb.conf file.

Now i am not able to login using samba.

I tried with different tweaks just like adding encrypt passwords but no success.

Tamaki

Administrator
Thanks for your reply.

By default, samba does not ask for password just becuase security is set to 'share' in smb.conf file.

So what i wanted is, i need authentication for samba, so i changed the "security = user" in smb.conf file.

Now i am not able to login using samba.

I tried with different tweaks just like adding encrypt passwords but no success.
I can be wrong as i don't use samba, but i think to remember that samba user and pass are the same as dec ones.
Am i wrong?