How to made Personal Backup and Full Backup.

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
The full backup is a true flashable image also including all your personal configurations and modifications.
Using FTP, copy the Vuplus folder from the HDD into a FAT32 formatted USB pendrive, then flash your backup as usual.

The moral is... don't keep your full backups on the HDD if you want to be able to flash directly the backup without having first to install a new image.

jrbmw

Vu+ User
Ok I have a 32gb usb partioned into 4 with universe on one and a full backup on another . If I put the usb in the front of my duo will it boot from the backup,or does the backup need to be the only file on the usb

Regards

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Not necessarily, you could have also other files and folders on the pendrive, the only requirement is to have within the pendrive's root the "vuplus" folder with the correct content inside.

Last edited:

giamburrasca

Vu+ Newbie
I made full backup of bh 2.0.9 uno and would like to reflash it, but in folder vuplus/uno there are now only 3 files (kernel_cfe_auto.bin, root_cfe_auto.jffs2, splash_cfe_auto.bin) and file "boot_cfe_auto.jffs2" is missing. Will I still be able to reflash my backup without "boot_cfe_auto.jffs2" ? or is there something wrong with FULL BACKUP image? Should I manually add "boot_cfe_auto.jffs2" to folder vuplus/uno on my USB stick?

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
You don't need anything else.
It's easy to verify: insert the pendrive in the front USB, turn on the box with the rear power switch and see if the pendrive is recognized: on the display there should appear "Update!" "Press power"
If you don't press the front Power button within few seconds the box then boots up normally.

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
You don't need to use ftp, you could also reach your box more easily through the network resources of your Windows PC.
Enter the following in the network file manager:
\\Your-Box-IP-address\
You'll find a folder with a name like configuration, then look inside it for the HDD path.

tony black

Vu+ Newbie
thanks sir, bu some files still can not be move out, it says: File Access Denied (You need permission to perform this action, You require permission from Unix User\root to make changes to this file), the file type is SOCKET File.

tony black

Vu+ Newbie
the files be taken out, but only two, missing "splash_cfe_auto.bin", what is it? but after flashed into a new unit, it still works.

giamburrasca

Vu+ Newbie
HI, I made a full backup (and personal too) from AVALON on BH 2.1.0. Now there is a problem (caused after installing MYMETRIX skin ) and I am not able to boot in Avalon (endlessly restarting GUI). How do I restore full backup with all plugins in Avalon?

Robocop1967

Vu+ User
Evening/morning folks!Just wondering if anyone has used the full backup tool on the new image?The reason being is I've always used it on every image since last November on my Solo2 straight to USB and it's always worked perfectly backing up in about 3 to 4 minutes but I've backed up twice tonight and both times it has taken just over 11 minutes.Any feedback would be appreciated.Cheers!

paolino

Vu+ User+++
@Robocop1967 : I'm using HDD for full backup. 3 mins to backup 2.1.1
Next I copy from HDD to USB key > about 7 minutes.

PS: delete vuplus folder from USB before making backup

Robocop1967

Vu+ User
Thanks for the reply Paolino.That 's still 10 mins for the process.I replaced the USB with picons/vu plus folder for an empty USB and it took just under 4 mins for full backup but in previous versions It took that amount of time with everything on the USB .It's no great hardship and it's still a great image I just thought I 'd share my findings with the forum.Brilliant work guys!!

kiki0077

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,
The difference between a personal and full backup is:
Personal backup, restores personal changes made on a BH image since the time of flashing. It restores favorite channels, plugins ... my receiver uses version 2.1.1. Let's say I'm upgrading to BH 2.1.4. Before flashing my Vu+, I'll make a personal backup using the version 2.1.1. I upgrade to 2.1.4 and restore my personal settings. The last version installed, 2.1.4, would not change, but I'll find my favorite channels my plugins ... as if I'm using the older version version 2.1.1
Full Backup restores the version of the image used to create the full backup and the personal changes made on that same image. If the full backup is done using 2.1.1. After flashing with 2.1.4 restoring from the full backup will restore the receiver as it is at the moment of the creation of full backup; to version 2.1.1+ the personal changes. Wright?

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
After flashing with 2.1.4 restoring from the full backup will restore the receiver as it is at the moment of the creation of full backup; to version 2.1.1+ the personal changes. Wright?
Are you asking that?
Anyway it's correct.:)

However remember that Personal Backup doesn't save picons if they are stored on the internal flash, so it's better to use a USB pendrive for them.

kiki0077

Vu+ Newbie
Are you asking that?
Anyway it's correct.:)
However remember that Personal Backup doesn't save picons if they are stored on the internal flash, so it's better to use a USB pendrive for them.
I was not sure, and many people don't know the difference between the full and personal backup. I've a USB pendrive on which I store different images (I just edit the name of vuplus file so as not to flash the receiver in case I restart it) favorite channels...going to add picons on that drive. Thank you.

tomjac

Vu+ Newbie
can I ask I updated to 2.1.4 recently but I lost my tuner settings and I couldn't rec one channel and watch another so I reflashed back to 2.0.9 which I had before, so all I need to do is a personal backup and flash to 2.1.4 and restore or will that cause problems ?? thanks

kiki0077

Vu+ Newbie
can I ask I updated to 2.1.4 recently but I lost my tuner settings and I couldn't rec one channel and watch another so I reflashed back to 2.0.9 which I had before, so all I need to do is a personal backup and flash to 2.1.4 and restore or will that cause problems ?? thanks
Hi,
Did you do a personal backup before updating to 2.1.4 ?
re-flashing back to 2.0.9, is it a full restore or just flashed an image downloaded from the net ?