So Stuck I could Cry - streaming VU+ Zero Over Internet

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
Been on this for days and its killing me.

Going away for a week and would like to be able to stream my VU+ Zero over the internet so I can keep up with the Ashes.
I am using image BH 2.1.6
Now I know the Zero does not transcode I have forwarded all ports on my superhub, I can use OpenWebif and control the box but without transcoding its very hard to get a stable stream outside of my home network even with a 10 meg upload.
I have been trying to stream via VLC from my PC, so there is one stream and I can just use openwebif to change the channel if needed but I just cannot get it to work.
Ports Forwarded are
PLEASE HELP

opps latest version of VLC

Last edited:

Mick12334

What happens when you use openwebif to view a channel, from your house router, then from another location, using a different internet source?
I haven't tested it, apart from using my home PC, to control my VU+ Duo 2, and view channels, using VLC, but it's always worked.
There are 2 options, on OpenWebif, to the top left, 1. a small blue box, which is listed a stream, which I use, and 2. a small white box, which is listed as stream transcoded.

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
I can view it no problem on my home pc over network but I do not have the transcode option as the VU+ Zero does not support transcoding

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
I am also trying LSK VU+ Team Stream BUT I cannot even login, using the same login as I would if I was using VUCC but it just tells me wrong user or password.

Mick12334

Which version of LSK team stream, as the ones I've seen are usually from 2011.
What happens if you try to use Openwebif from over the internet, not via your network?
Can you control your receiver, and have you tried the stream option?

Just seen an option, for Dreambox, using just the Firefox browser, that opens OpenWebif, youtube have a video, but it's fairly straight forward.
open up a Firefox browser, type in your receivers IP address, and enter the username, root, and password, by default it's blank, unless you've added one, and see if you're able to stream.

Last edited:

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
LSK VU+ Team stream v0.0.4

Yeah if I use my andriod phone on 4g I can login to oPenwbif and control box and open a stream but as no transcoding it just breaks up.
I can do that with Chrome no need for firefox but like I say unwatchable, my mate logged in from his on broadband and again was unwatchable without transcoding.
This why I wanted to stream from vlc on my pc so my pc can do the transcoding.

I thought LSK VU+ Team stream would do this but I also just have the username and no password set for my box, so I cannot login to LSK VU+ Team stream

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
AAHAHA Just realised I was using a much older version, got this one and I am logged in
Code:
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://linuxsat-support.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D27558&sa=U&ei=mR2YVdTpHInDggSHr5OQCA&ved=0CAQQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHdeGtEy6Qj-RW4JVbVEn1_H9paww

Right this is working great little program but can I use this to transcode and broadcast over internet ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick12334

Why not visit a relative/friend and use their wifi, to see if you can access your receiver, and view the stream?

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
Why not visit a relative/friend and use their wifi, to see if you can access your receiver, and view the stream?

I have done this, my friend can access my openwbif and he can watch a stream via VLC but it is very poor quality.
The Zero will not transcode so a direct stream for the box is poor outside of my home network.
I should be able to connect VLC running on my pc to the vu+ zero and then stream that over the internet using my pc to transcode the stream (I think) but I just cannot get it to work.

Mick12334

Did you try using Firefox browser?
Did you check the video options, in VLC?
What is your friends broadband speed?
Is his PC upto the task, processor, memory, graphics card?

Mick12334

That should be more than sufficient, do you know what resolution he is running?
Have you got a laptop, or other device, you can test it on, perhaps using free Wi-fi points?

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
my main issue is getting it running via vlc as a transcoder, every time I think I have done and go to try and open the stream on vlc on my phone or on a laptop and the stream does not open

Tony il Capo

Vu+ Newbie
It should work without problems when streaming to a pc or a powerfull smartphone
But are you sure it's worth the risk. I mean open webif and streaming ports to internet it's not a good idea...

Mick12334

Just visited the vuplus website, as I was going to check on the Zero's technical specs, and on the front page is a listing for the new VU+ Player HD:
"Vu+ Player HD is an Android app designed to allow you to control and stream from your Vu+ satellite receivers, either from the same network as the receiver, or from a remote location."
Code:
http://vuplus.com/sub/main.php

Might be worth trying.

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
It should work without problems when streaming to a pc or a powerfull smartphone
But are you sure it's worth the risk. I mean open webif and streaming ports to internet it's not a good idea...

Yeah I know the risk but love the cricket and will be away for 1 of the test matches, saves trying to find anaff p2p stream full of adverts that never work anyway.
I must be doing something wrong just cannotg et it to work at all.

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
Just visited the vuplus website, as I was going to check on the Zero's technical specs, and on the front page is a listing for the new VU+ Player HD:
"Vu+ Player HD is an Android app designed to allow you to control and stream from your Vu+ satellite receivers, either from the same network as the receiver, or from a remote location."
Code:
http://vuplus.com/sub/main.php

Might be worth trying.
Yeah have installed that today but my issue remains the same its great on home network but as the Zero does not transcode the out of home network stream will be dreadful, not that I could get that to connect on 4g either mind

Thanks for all the help though peeps :D

Mick12334

You could always try networking your PC, so that you can control it from another PC, or appliance, then try sending a stream, from an installed player.
Of course an easier way might be to try borrowing a VU+ Duo2, or another receiver, that can send a decent stream.

Skirge

Vu+ Newbie
Yeah a Duo2 would be very nice :D

I will crack the vlc issue not one to give up, its a challenge now. Does Team Stream broadcast to ? cannot work it out, click for English but not all text is translated, can watch it on my PC no problems but I I connect to it outside my network ?

Mick12334

If I remember correctly wasn't the VU+ Zero developed as a second receiver, to run alongside a main VU+, like the Solo 2, Duo 2, kind of like the Sky multi room option?
If so then I can understand why it wasn't designed for streaming, apart from in the house.
Of course I could be thinking of a different receiver.