Streaming from VU+ over internet

LebArmy75

Vu+ Newbie
Hello all :)

As I cannot set up a dish at my apartment, I've been thinking of setting one up at a friend's house ! He has already got a dish with LNBs and a receiver, I would only be using his dish, I would have my own LNBs and my own receiver which would be a VU+ product ^^, so I won't interfere with his installation.

What I have in mind is setting this up at his house and have the VU+ device stream the channels to my LAN through VPN, then I would use the VU+ PVR addon for Kodi to watch the channels. He has a 1 Gbps fiber connection (upload speed should be at least around 100 Mbps) and my download speed is around 50 Mbps.

I want to stream HD channels (full HD - 1920x1080) and SD when HD is not possible for a channel, maybe I won't need transcoding, simple streaming should be fine, what do you think ? Which VU+ product would be suitable for my needs ? From my research, the choice would be between Solo2, Zero and Solo SE but if you have something else, please feel free to suggest.

Thank you in advance :)

Pyromon

BH Lover
Hello,

for your project the VU is a good choice. I recommend you the Duo2 it. Since this can also do the transcoding.
Or SoloSE but tihs is without Display.

Greeting Pyromon

LebArmy75

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you for your replies :)
I planned to put another image on it like BH or something else, I would have more features I think.

@Pyromon
What do you mean by without Display ? When streaming, I can't have TV display, is this what you mean ?
I will be using it mainly for streaming (do I need transcoding ? How much bandwidth do HD channels take in streaming without transcoding ?), I may record programs and save them on my NAS here (through VPN) or on the internal HDD/external HDD if available.. Of course, I may use the receiver as a normal receiver so on TV when not streaming later on but I think all of VU+ device do that :)
So I put my eyes on either Solo SE, Solo2 or Zero but it seems Zero will not be able to stream correctly as you didn't mention it ?

DUO2 is very good but too expensive for me, I have in mind a budget of 260 euros... For the Solo SE, it has got a 100 Mbps ethernet port, I thought this would not be enough for streaming HD channels, am I wrong ?
Solo2 is a twin tuner, if I want my friend to use streaming too (with transcoding possibly depending on the bandwidth required per HD channels), do I have to choose a twin receiver so the Solo2 ?

Thanks for your replies :) I know, too many questions... ^^

LebArmy75

Vu+ Newbie
Sorry I can't edit my posts so I have to reply again...
About the twin tuner, it can also be for having 2 streams at the same time if possible ? So I would be watching one stream/one channel and another channel on my iPad - if I put Astra/Hotbird on 1 tuner and Nilesat on the second one ? Can I watch 2 different channels by streaming from the same tuner ? (astra and hotbird) or is it only 1 stream per tuner ?

I will think of the DUO2, I read it had a better CPU than the others (hardware transcoding especially), I don't know between Solo SE, Solo2 or DUO2 which one has the best one, from the numbering, it seems Solo SE but maybe this is not the case ^^

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
About the twin tuner, it can also be for having 2 streams at the same time if possible ? So I would be watching one stream/one channel and another channel on my iPad - if I put Astra/Hotbird on 1 tuner and Nilesat on the second one ? Can I watch 2 different channels by streaming from the same tuner ? (astra and hotbird) or is it only 1 stream per tuner ?
Just start from the consideration that only 1 channel can be streamed at the same time.
That taken into consideration, it's consequent that only 1 sat tuner is enough for you, and then only 1 cable from a multifeed antenna (Astra/Hotbird/Nilesat).
And also your friend must allow you to install all these things on his dish.;)

LebArmy75

Vu+ Newbie
If VU+ (either image) can only do 1 channel streaming at the same time (+1 recording I suppose depending on situations?) :
If one tuner is used (let's take a VU+ with only 1 tuner), I would have a twin LNB with 1 (or 2 outputs - to my friend's receiver if he wants to have 1 LNB used for our receivers) for both Astra and Hotbird, and another LNB for Nilesat and both LNBs would be interconnected to the receiver by a DiSeqC device (2 inputs/1 output), is that right ?

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Recording and streaming at the same time from the same satellite requires 2 separate LNB outputs and 2 separate cables for your use only, and then also 2 tuners in your receiver.

If you also need multifeed this requires some additional hardware like multiple DiSEqC switches.

Unicable (single cable distribution) could simplify the installation for a single satellite, but has some technical problems with dual-feed installation and requires some more specialized hardware (multiswitch)

LebArmy75

Vu+ Newbie
I don't know the current installation, I think there is already a multifeed (a multifeed is a bar on which you put the LNBs right ?) on the dish ...
"2 separate LNB outputs" or 2 separate LNB with 1 output each, am I right? Then yes, 2 tuners/2 LNB inputs on the receiver and so 2 separate cables. I read somewhere that we could watch 2 channels on the same tuner if they were on the same satellite or transponder, maybe this is something else ?

I would like not to interfere with his current installation, so I would only be using the dish (let's suppose that) : if I'm not mistaken - let's suppose I have the VU+ Zero/1 tuner, I would have one monoblock LNB (so 2 feedhornes) with 1 output for Astra/Hotbird + 1 LNB 1 output for Nilesat, and I need a DiSEqC switch for both LNBs connected to the receiver's tuner, right ? Does it not work or have I missed something ?

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
2 separate LNB with 1 output each, am I right? T
AFAIK you can't have on the same antenna 2 LNBs pointing to the same satellite, so you need 1 LNB with 2 outputs.

Anyway it's hard to discuss about your possible setup until you don't provide a detailed description of your friend's current installation.

denon54

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Lebarmy75,

when you want to have access to multiple satelitte with only one receiver, decription that you gave here above;
so 1 monoblock (astra-hotbird ) + one other satelitte for Nilesat , you then can't use a regular disecq commutator !
You will have to use a disecq from spaun with a ( option A/B ) the Under that box a regular disecq .

The installation will be as follow;
at the end of your coax cable ( on the roof ) you will insert it into the input of the option A/B , the on the output A you will connect
you monoblock , on the output B you will connect you Nilesat Lnb. and that's it for outside installation.

Then back on your receiver you will have to go to tuner installation and ther choose manual installation.

I will try to find a tutorial where it explain on a vu+ receiver howto achieve that, i don't know if i have the righgt here to post
the link coming from another forum ! don't wanna be banned .

wait untill Admin says something

sincerly

denon54

Matrix10

Administrator
I would still spared money for DUO2
to be sure of a good result.
Namely, if it is not possible to get good results with full stream
then duo2 has perfect hardware transcoding
which works very well and in principle it is possible to have excellent picture
with transcoding and less speed / BW in network .
After my tests with local network other boxis remained weaker in this field
because they do not have the hardware transcoding.
Besides Duo2 possibilities for tuners expansion ..

Matrix10

Administrator
There is possibly another option
if location allows, flat dish.

Some of my neighbors have a small flat dish and they work great with this stronger European satellites.
Big as a flowerpot :D Many do not know they have this antenna.In that case, you could use the cheapest VU +
Zero.

LebArmy75

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Matrix10 :)

Yes, DUO2 seems fine and complete, sure this is the highest standard at VU+ ... :p 350 euros is a little bit expensive but let's see, maybe it can be useful later on too so I should be thinking in the future rather than in the present..

However, why do you say that I can take the Zero if I choose a flat dish ? Is there a difference with a normal dish that makes the DUO2 useless with a flat dish ?

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Matrix10 has suggested that a small flat dish might be installed in your home, it's not very noticeable, so you should not need a streaming solution, and then even a Zero might be enough.

LebArmy75

Vu+ Newbie
Oh ok, well can I receive Nilesat with a flat dish ? If you know... For Astra/Hotbird, I can only receive them on my Kitchen's balcony and running a cable from there to the living room is going to be difficult =/ but not impossible !

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Remember, streaming (and depending from someone else) is not a satisfying long term every day solution...
If you can find a in-house alternative, you'll never regret...;)