Unusual freeze in 5.0.005

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
@Alexwilmac I did not quite understand... Do you have a plugin called Advanced HDMI CEC plugin? Do not you use what comes with the image? This is not in feeds...

I use HDMI CEC that is in the image on a box, but another box where you wanted to use I have a problem: in addition to the TV there is a receiver/av. Now this is not used every day, but if you connect HDMI CEC starts to respond at all times. Any idea?

Well you got a lot of stuff running at the same time and they all are threading, using a lot of cpu power and memory.
EPG download and AutoTimer all read and write to the /media/hdd/epgOBH.dat file at the same time :)
I know that it's custome to keep the epg database for Open images on an external device to save space in the flash memory.
But this comes with a price of performance. Special when you load a big database. Same issue with AutoTimer. Searching a hugh database on an external device is very heavy work.
So try and slim line the epg and timer search to unload some work. If you are using the image in OMB move the location of the epgOBH.dat to the "Flash" instead and see if the freeze will go away.
It's probably the sum of all and not just a single event causing your unusual freez :)

AlexWilMac

@p.rodrigues
No, I don't have AdvHDMI-CEC installed. As I wrote in my post #17:
I had a suspect about Advanced HDMI CEC plugin....... then I decided to uninstall it but I had got an error message. So, suspecting something had gone wrong, I installed from scratch 5.0, ........... without reinstalling Advanced HDMI CEC, only enabling (as always) HDMI CEC.

Instead, as I wrote, I've always used HDMI-CEC without any problems, since 2014.

@Thomas67
You read in my mind, mate, and I decided to stop updating EPG every 6 hours (although I don't know why I had this thought! But, being accustomed to IT odd behaviours, it came in my mind to try also this and although nothing happens in 4.4).
My 5.0 is as it has always been 4.4, in case lighter because there is at least a couple of plugins less compared to that.
The EPG is store in a SSD and so it should be not heavy to manage. The real process of downloading EPG is set at night.

°°°
That said, after having disabled only HDMI-CEC, an episode occurred all the same yesterday morning... Then I disabled EPG updates from the main image submenu and re-enabled HDMI-CEC.
I don't want to say anything too soon but... until now, after more than 24 hours, the problem hasn't happened again.
Let's see.

fta

Vu+ Newbie
I wasn't even aware of OBH 5. I am still on 4.3.039. I understand that there are a few issues. Would you recommend me to upgrade anyway? Is 5.0 better?

AlexWilMac

This is the typical one million dollars questions.
Me reporting an issue (still testing what might be) doesn't mean 100% it is related to OBH 5.0: this isn't a rational approach.
%.0 is based on Python3 language. So, "issues" in case are obsolete plugins, although every images are now on Python3 and plugins are forced to be updated anyway.
You can read about it here
https://vuplus-community.net/board/threads/openbh-5-0-now-available.42989/

and in the new forum all for OBH:
https://board.openbh.net/

Reactions: fta