USB Format, hdd size and wifi

bo1e

Vu+ Newbie
A couple of unrelated questions for anyone who can answer.

I am currently running bh 1.7.8. I want to use a usb stick for picons/skins/epg and stuff like that. But when I format the stick using Usb format wizard in blue panel, extra settings, my solo will no longer restart/boot. It's stuck with black screen and red light whenever I try to restart it. If I unplug the usb stick and plug it back in after the box has started booting, it works fine. But it will not boot with the stick plugged in.

So. first question is: How do I format and mount the usb stick without the usb format wizard, and avoid not being able to boot? It does not show up in device manager. Also, should I create a swap file on the usb stick?

Second question is about hard drive. I have a 320 gb hard drive connected to usb. It is detected correctly, with correct size, but when its mounted, it only reports half of the capacity of free space. Is there something wrong with the partitions? Any way to clear the partitions and use the whole disk?

Third question is about wifi. I have a usb wifi adapter, and with bh 1.7.8 it works fine. But I tried upgrading to 1.7.9 and the wifi stopped working. I tried several other images, pbnigma, vix, and a few more, but the wifi would not work with them either. So I went back to bh 1.7.8, and it worked again. Anyone have an idea of why this could be?

I'd try different USB stick. BTW what files format did you format it with?

What files do you have on your hard drive? Any? How many partition? You can format your drive again and select its whole size, then mount it.

Not sure, but I think your wifi adapter needs old drivers.

bo1e

Vu+ Newbie
I tried a different usb stick, and that seems to have fixed it. Strange that it would just stop working suddenly, I've been using that usb stick for a while with no problems.

Code:
Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sdb1 1 38913 312568668+ 83 Linux
When I mount the hard drive to /media/hdd i get - Available space: 160 GB​
I don't know enough linux to find out what's happening there.​
The wifi-dongle is supposed to be Ralink RT3070 chipset. The driver was my first thought too, shame if newer images will not support it. I think the only image I have gotten it to work with is black hole, but with 1.7.9 it was unstable. It is detected and I can activate it. It scans for networks, and finds them. It will connect to unencrypted networks, but not encrypted ones. The link goes green once in a while, but drops out again immediatly.​
Thanks for your feedback!​

bo1e

Vu+ Newbie
Another output shows this:
Code:
root@vusolo:/# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi0:rootfs            100.5M    67.7M    32.8M  67% /
udev                      2.0M    96.0K      1.9M  5% /dev
/dev/mtdblock2            4.0M    388.0K      3.6M  9% /boot
tmpfs                    51.9M    284.0K    51.6M  1% /var
tmpfs                    51.9M    20.0K    51.9M  0% /tmp
tmpfs                    51.9M        0    51.9M  0% /dev/shm
/dev/disk/by-uuid/1ab15d80-7eaf-42a4-858c-c1da570e1074
                          3.3G    17.9M      3.3G  1% /media/usb
/dev/disk/by-uuid/7f71e6f4-4521-4b77-b5f1-79d1ea265979
                        372.2M    259.0M    113.2M  70% /media/cf
/dev/disk/by-uuid/f4b3dea3-730c-4adc-8475-a6b79a816bcb
                        298.0G    145.0G    153.0G  49% /media/hdd

145GB is reported as used. I can't find that used data anywhere.

"mount" shows the following:
Code:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/f4b3dea3-730c-4adc-8475-a6b79a816bcb on /media/hdd type ext3 (
rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=writeback)

Can I repartition and reformat the drive tru telnet? I don't know what commands to use

bo1e

Vu+ Newbie
The hard drive is internal. In order to use the usb format wizard, I need to unplug the drive for the wizard to detect it and let me partition and format it. I would like to do it without having to open the box and unplug the hard drive.

bo1e

Vu+ Newbie
Pardon? The vu+ solo only has usb. The drive is connected to the usb pinout on the motherboard via usb-sata-adapter, and located inside the chassis.

sorry mate, I've lost the plot - forgot we are in solo thread
in telnet
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb
that command will allow you to format your hdd with ext3
press yes to confirm
reboot your box
it should help