Vu+ Ultimo vs Vu+ Duo

dreamingb

Vu+ Newbie
I can find a lot difference on the paper and how these tow boxes looks like. But when i comes to compare the processor and memory Ultimo feels same as vu+ duo. Its slow in the response. I can feel lag in the osd. So what is the problem? Software is not utilizing the hardware or hardware is still not good enough to give us a great feel?

Dzoni

BH Lover
No, memory and cpu are not same on DUO and ULTIMO.
Ultimo have 512 mb of RAM memory while DUO have 384mb. Cpu from Ultimo is newer although same speed. It give something faster work.
Also ULTIMO have bigger FLASH memory - 1GB.

jan ptak

Vu+ Newbie
CPU is completely different. In Vu Duo You have 1 core CPU and its described by Broadcom (manufacturerer) as meant for economic boxes (I know, Vu Duo isnt cheap but its Broadcom statement). In Vu Ultimo we have 2 core CPU and speed improvement is noticable. Additionally picture quality is much better IMHO in Ultimo.

Lincsat

Vu+ User
I have switched recently. I did notice the Ultimo is slightly faster but put that down to not having to use a swapfile, no lag at all on the Ultimo. The PQ is slightly better but that may be down to the new image/drivers. The 3rd tuner is a bonus too although the tuners do seem warm.

Dzoni

BH Lover
Yes, please look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vu+ and on Broadcom webpage: http://www.broadcom.com/products/IPTV/IPTV-Solutions/BCM7413
Cpu is much faster and its packed with more advance features. Having faster CPU wont speed channel zapping and other driver depedant actions thou.

Your observation is not true !

Both cpu are BROADCOM. Both procesors have 405mhz(X2) of bus speed. CPU in Ultimo is dual core 405mhz and newer product. CPU in DUO is DUAL THREADED (http://www.broadcom.com/products/Satellite/Satellite-Set-Top-Box-Solutions/BCM7335)which generate true perfomance of 1100 DMIPS !
Chip in Ultimo support 64-bit DDR2 800 memory.

So fact is that CPU chip in Ultimo is newer and have in some procents better performance and possibility but it is not big difference like You wanted to present here.

Some improvments in Ultimo are caused by big RAM capacity compared with Duo.

Both boxes are very good.

jan ptak

Vu+ Newbie
But what my observations are not true?
What You state is in pair with my statement. Both CPU's are Broadcome, Duo have one hyperthreaded core, Ultimo CPU is true Dualcore.
Ultimo CPU is faster by using different architecture and it is fact.
We wont argue by what margin ultimo is faster - aren't we? ;-D

BTW - I also even agree that both are very good :-p

Dzoni

BH Lover
Isn't true big difference between that boxeses like You described,that is all. Difference are there but not very big.

perise

Vu+ Newbie
I have both decoders and I think Ultimo is really much better than Duo.....faster, no crashes, more stability, better image quality and you can install many plugins without problems.....

Dzoni

BH Lover
Ok it is Your opinion.
Question is what someone means a lot of difference. With experiance of 10 years in this hobby word,I have created a system of values ​​and gradations in the satellite TV and I think that it is not big difference between this 2 boxes. Ultimo is better,there is no doubt,but for average user it is not big. Both are very good STB ! You will see what is a big difference just when Vu+ publish new generation of boxes - DUO2 and SOLO2. In that moment You will understand what I want to said You :thankyou: