Your VU+ Uno4K SE has no internet access, please check your network settings and make sure you have

leventea

Vu+ Newbie
I have a device which cannot access the internet for some reason. Whenever I try to perform system update, any plugin update, I receive the following exception:

"Your VU+ Uno4K SE has no internet access, please check your network settings and make sure you have network cable connected and try again."

WHAT WORKS:
- The device is connected to the network,
- network test runs fine, all options green,
- I can access OpenWebIf via the network (internal and external),
- ***** receives external decoding info,
- I can access the device through the network, upload files to it
- the device can scan the network and it finds devices in the network

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:
- cannot check software updates
- cannot install plugins (e.g. Netflix, or weather server in Kodi)

I used to have Open BlackHole 4.1, updated to 4.4, same results.
I tried using cabled network, tried switching cables, same results.
Tried using Wifi dongle, connects fine, but same results.
Tried using DHCP as well as manual, tried using 8.8.8.8 as DNS, same results.

I spent 2 days trying to find the culprit with no success.
I wonder if it could be some Linux issue. Please try to help!
Thank you!

AlexWilMac

No Linux issue.
Try OpenDNS, instead.
This is almost surely a DNS issue.
And, of course, try also to check if it's the router the responsible, although it should not be, as other Internet-related services work.
So, there is only a problem at connecting to feed's repository.

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
Maybe putting your definitions here...

WXC8iwt.png
I have the Portuguese language, the MO here needs some corrections...

Porta de Entrada > Gateway (the IP address of the router)
DNS primary > 8888
Secondary DNS > 8844​

Last edited:

leventea

Vu+ Newbie
No Linux issue.
Try OpenDNS, instead.
This is almost surely a DNS issue.
And, of course, try also to check if it's the router the responsible, although it should not be, as other Internet-related services work.
So, there is only a problem at connecting to feed's repository.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. When you say try OpenDNS, what do you mean? Instead of what? Thank you!

leventea

Vu+ Newbie
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. When you say try OpenDNS, what do you mean? Instead of what? Thank you!
Do you mean using OpenDNS IP addresses? That didn't work.
However, I realized that I have parental controls set on my Netgear router, hosted by OpenDNS. While I still can't bypass the parental controls on the device itself, if I disable all parental controls altogether, the device can receive updates. Thanks for the tip!
Currently when I try to set the device on the router to bypass the parental controls, I get the message "to select this level, you need to go to that device, install netgear genie".
If you have any idea how I can install this on this device, please let me know!

AlexWilMac

if I disable all parental controls altogether, the device can receive updates. Thanks for the tip!
..... "to select this level, you need to go to that device, install netgear genie".
If you have any idea how I can install this on this device, please let me know!
Code:
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/Genie.aspx

leventea

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks but I don't know the services under the bonnet of Enigma or OpenBH and then there are probably a few dozens of sites the plugins are looking for which are all unknown.

Mick12334

Altering your router settings has nothing to do with your receiver, Enigma 2, or Open Black Hole.

You need to access your router, via your PC, using the default username, and probably password, found on your router.

Open up a web browser, type in your routers IP address, usually 192.198.1.1, in the address bar, and you should get the opening screen to accessing your router. You should already have done this, in order to change your default password, to stop others hacking your router.

Once into them router you can alter the settings.

Have you read the links, provided by Matrix10?

leventea

Vu+ Newbie
Altering your router settings has nothing to do with your receiver, Enigma 2, or Open Black Hole.

You need to access your router, via your PC, using the default username, and probably password, found on your router.

Open up a web browser, type in your routers IP address, usually 192.198.1.1, in the address bar, and you should get the opening screen to accessing your router. You should already have done this, in order to change your default password, to stop others hacking your router.

Once into them router you can alter the settings.

Have you read the links, provided by Matrix10?
Sorry, I don't know what this is referring to.
I know where and how to set up my router. Let's just say I have little more knowledge than learning about the importance of changing the password.
Which settings are you referring to?

I did read the he links provided by Matrix10. These are about allowing certain links in OpenDNS, over LPC. I responded above (I just wasn't able to quote Matrix 10 due to the links) that I don't know all the links to whitelist in OpenDNS.

In the Netgear genie app I can set the STB's filtering level to None (see attached) but it doesn't help, result is the same.
The only thing affecting the updates is the OpenDNS parental controls. If I fully disable it (through the Netgear Genie app), all is fine, updates work.
Enabling LPC basically alters my router's DNS values from the ones received from my ISP to the values of OpenDNS.
Not sure what other ways I have to bypass LPC (bypassing by filtering level doesn't work as it would require to install Netgear Genie on the STB...).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.58.57.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.58.57.png
    463.7 KB · Views: 4

leventea

Vu+ Newbie
Have you checked the parental controls tab?
What model netgear router do you have?
The parental controls tab doesn't have any content, it opens up https_netgear.opendns.com in my browser.
I have an R6300v2.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 12.12.08.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 12.12.08.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 3

Matrix10

Administrator
if I understood it well

1.The Live Parental Control service based on OpenDNS will no longer be supported on Netgear devices as of December 31, 2021.

Effective April 1st, 2021, Netgear will remove support for Live Parental Controls from the Netgear genie app and from updated versions of their firmware. Customers can continue to use OpenDNS for content and security filtering by directly setting up an account at https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security.

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

This article provides steps on how to block or allow access to sites using NETGEAR Live Parental Controls.

To block or allow sites using NETGEAR Live Parental Controls:
https://kb.netgear.com/30219/How-do-I-block-or-allow-sites-using-NETGEAR-Live-Parental-Controls
  1. Visit netgear.opendns.com.
  2. Click Sign In.
    Note: In order to enhance security, the NETGEAR Dashboard uses the OpenDNS login page. All Live Parental Controls settings should function as normal. To learn more about this change, select Click here.
    The Default settings page displays.
  3. Select Account Settings at the top of page.
  4. Select the Blacklist/Whitelist tab.
  5. Enter the complete domain name of a website.
  6. Click the drop down menu and select Always block or Never block.
  7. Select Add this domain.
  8. Complete Steps 4-7 for each website that you want to control access to.
As far as I know we use two domains for
BH / OBH images
So it’s not hundreds of domains but just the ones you use in your image.
I don't know how those domain names are written there
check it in the setup

https://vuplus-community.net/
http://feeds.vuplus-community.net/

So for our images you probably only need to unblock two domain names
If anyone knows this matter better let them correct me.

Last edited:

Matrix10

Administrator
Thanks but I don't know the services under the bonnet of Enigma or OpenBH and then there are probably a few dozens of sites the plugins are looking for which are all unknown.

Yes if we are talking about plugins and links in them it is a problem
I don't see a solution for that, because you don't have any Netgear genie app that you could install on the box.
And if I understand, Netgear genie app it won't work next year either.

leventea

Vu+ Newbie
if I understood it well

1.The Live Parental Control service based on OpenDNS will no longer be supported on Netgear devices as of December 31, 2021.

2. This article provides steps on how to block or allow access to sites using NETGEAR Live Parental Controls.
To block or allow sites using NETGEAR Live Parental Controls: ...

3. As far as I know we use two domains for BH / OBH images

So for our images you probably only need to unblock two domain names
If anyone knows this matter better let them correct me.
1. Correct.
2. Correct.
3. Thank you so much for the links!

leventea

Vu+ Newbie
Yes if we are talking about plugins and links in them it is a problem
I don't see a solution for that, because you don't have any Netgear genie app that you could install on the box.
And if I understand, Netgear genie app it won't work next year either.
Thank you anyway for taking your time looking into this issue!
I hope I will not have to replace my router just yet and somebody will think of a solution. If no other, how can I fully bypass OpenDNS without disabling LPC altogether.