Can't connect after update

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
Box: Vu+ Duo 2. Had BH 2.1.4. Updated to 3.0.2 (Oct '16 build)
Reason for updating: was getting some recordings of zero length
Used to be able to connect via OpenWebIF, FTP and Telnet, and now can't :

FTP: get ECONNREFUSED (with Filezilla)
Telnet (dos): cannot connect, and no login prompt
OpenWebIF: get login prompt (good!) but it always just comes back with login box regardless of password
Samba: I CAN see shared folders from Windows (therefore box IP is as it was 192.168.1.110)

What can be done?? I am not beside the box; it is in a friend's house and the only access appears to be via the TV remote and these shared folders.
Why is Telnet not even showing a login prompt? (it actually did, briefly, on next attempt, it didn't)
Vu box and router have been soft- and hard-rebooted.
Perhaps the password needs to be reset - can I do this via the remote?

All help appreciated.

jas

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
Reflash the box .
The box had been updated to the April '16 build of 3.0.2 and had this problem. It was then updated to the Oct build and had the same problem. By "update" I mean the usual 'vuplus folder on usb stick then reboot' procedure, both of which appeared to work, in that the version reported is correct, tuners, bouqets, IP address etc are all as-was. I presume this is exactly what you mean by "reflash". And if the problem persists?

Ev0

Admin
Turn off the authorisation for the webif in the green panel, and you should then be able to open the webif.

If webif authorisation is set to on, you must set a password on the box before it will let you connect (otherwise why would you need authorisation if there is no password).

For the rest, it sounds like ports are closed in the router (this can happen if the provider has updated the firmware for example) and that is why you have no access.

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
Green button, yellow button then blackhole update
Thanks - that sounded promising, but in fact caused a green-screen crash (see attached). My friend doing the remote ops reports: "I didn’t even reach the point of selecting the Black Hole Image Update. Just selecting a Black Hole top level menu caused this". Only option then was to flash 2.1.4 again from a usb stick.
Earlier, I had been trying to update to V3.0.2 in the file BlackHole-3.0.2-vuduo2_usb_release_20160406_5bb5a9c.zip. I found this somewhere like here - I same somewhere like, because this URL refers to Duo2 etc but the dowload file there refers to bm750 (... further confusion). The 2.1.4 file I have is simply BlackHole-2.1.4-vuduo2_usb.zip - perhaps these 'release' files are not stable, or something?
Whet led to all this was an attempt to fix a problem where some recordings are of zero length (timers are correct).

Attachments

• VuCrash_20161223a.jpg
    VuCrash_20161223a.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 22

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
Turn off the authorisation for the webif in the green panel, and you should then be able to open the webif.

If webif authorisation is set to on, you must set a password on the box before it will let you connect (otherwise why would you need authorisation if there is no password).

For the rest, it sounds like ports are closed in the router (this can happen if the provider has updated the firmware for example) and that is why you have no access.
Thanks - a good idea ref turning off authorisation. There are definitely no problems with the router. It had been re-booted during all this, but had been fine before, and is now ok again, with the only problem being: all works with 2.1.4; no FTP etc etc with 3.0.2. I am now not sure how to update from 2.1.4, and certainly not sure where to get a stable and compatible BH update.
Or.... should I move from BH? - to??

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
Further details of green screen crash:
starting BlackHoleapi handler
EXCEPTION IN PYTHON STARTUP CODE:
------------------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 591, in <module>
runScreenTest()
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 445, in runScreenTest
plugins.readPluginList(resolveFilename(SCOPE_PLUGINS))
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/PluginComponent.py", line 103, in readPluginList
self.addPlugin(p)
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/PluginComponent.py", line 30, in addPlugin
plugin(reason=0)
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/BlackHoleApi/plugin.py", line 51, in autostart
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 224, in meth
return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
------------------------------------------------------------

- a missing or bad plugin...?

sabril

Vu+ Newbie
the best is to put new fresh and clean image ,if you have hdd inside you have to initialise just before to do the new flash and after , is not recommended to do update online ,

Ev0

Admin
How did you update from 2.1.4 to 3.0.2 ?

If you did not download the 3.0.2 files from this site.

Then you probably are using some backup file posted elsewhere and that is your problem.

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
How did you update from 2.1.4 to 3.0.2 ?

If you did not download the 3.0.2 files from this site.

Then you probably are using some backup file posted elsewhere and that is your problem.
Thanks for your reply. I did indeed download from this site (at http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/black-hole-3-0-2-h-kodi-vu-duo2.30063/), with filename BlackHole-3.0.2-vuduo2_usb_release_20161003_e67c1f4.zip, and this image caused the problems mentioned. The update was done vua the "vuplus folder on usb stick" method. I do wonder if there is special significance in the "release..." part of the name, and what the issue letters (such as H) mean, apart from the very obvious. The 2.1.4 image had a file name that was simply BlackHole-2.1.4-vuduo2_usb.zip. Are these other files some interim releases? Where is a stabel release newer than 2.1.4? I also don't know what Kodi is.
As I am very remote from the box, all I need is stablity, a usable web i/f and FTP. The TV GUI is mostly irrelevant. [recap - the attempt to update was driven by the hope that a later version would reduce the occurrence of zero-length recordings, and I'm sure I read somewhere that 3.x.x addressed that in some way.]

Ev0

Admin
Did you do the online updates, after you installed the image ?

The problem (whatever it is, and whatever is causing it), has to be in your network somewhere, as nobody else has reported the same issue's and the 3.0.x series of images are almost 12 months old, and this is the only issue like this reported.

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie

The problem (whatever it is, and whatever is causing it), has to be in your network somewhere, as nobody else has reported the same issue's and the 3.0.x series of images are almost 12 months old, and this is the only issue like this reported.
That is useful to know, and I see your point. At present, I have 2.1.4 re-installed, and CAN access (via credentials) the Web IF no problem. With FTP, I get ECONNREFUSED (neither FileZilla nor WinSCP work) and Telnet... when you go telnet [ip address] the cmd window clears and all you see is a flashing cursor and no chars as you type. With set localecho, you don't get even this far. VERY frustrating.
I also get ECONNREFUSED from FileZilla running on a PC on the same network - would that also implicate the router (on that same n/w)?

Mick12334

How far have you gotten, when flashing Black Hole 3.0.2?
I trust you're not attempting to install any backups, from 2.2.4, or earlier, when flashing 3.0.2?
Have you reached the setup screens, for setting your network connection, and setting up your tuners?
I am running Black Hole 3.0.2, on my VU+ Duo2, without any problems, and I have never had your recording problem, in both Black Hole 2.1.4 and 3.0.2.
Can you please post back with more detailed information.

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie

That is useful to know, and I see your point. At present, I have 2.1.4 re-installed, and CAN access (via credentials) the Web IF no problem. With FTP, I get ECONNREFUSED (neither FileZilla nor WinSCP work) and Telnet... when you go telnet [ip address] the cmd window clears and all you see is a flashing cursor and no chars as you type. With set localecho, you don't get even this far. VERY frustrating.
I also get ECONNREFUSED from FileZilla running on a PC on the same network - would that also implicate the router (on that same n/w)?
How far have you gotten, when flashing Black Hole 3.0.2?
I trust you're not attempting to install any backups, from 2.2.4, or earlier, when flashing 3.0.2?
Have you reached the setup screens, for setting your network connection, and setting up your tuners?
I am running Black Hole 3.0.2, on my VU+ Duo2, without any problems, and I have never had your recording problem, in both Black Hole 2.1.4 and 3.0.2.
Can you please post back with more detailed information.
The amount of information I can give is limited, as I am relying on a (clued-up) friend to do the physical updating. He reports that the unit works fine locally (via TV remote etc) after updating to 3.x. When I use the web interface, I get a login prompt (indicating, surely, access to the machine) but when I enter root/password, the prompt just reappears. There is no FTP or Telnet access, yet both of these appear to be running (ref BH menus/controls). Ref "I trust you're not attempting to install any backups, from 2.2.4, or earlier" - no, def not, unless such a thing happens automatically somehow (there is a file named enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz in a backup folder in hdd). Do you know if it tries to restore from that location? If so, this could be an issue???
Anyway, I am now keen to get back to any working scenario, and 2.1.4 is now installed. I can use the web interface no problem now (there was no need to change any n/w or password settings - these must have survived the flash, or been restored???). Still no FTP and Telnet looks odd (see above - no login prompt, but no 'can't connect' rejection either - see above for more details). Via Teamviewer, I have looked at the router ports on the network where the Vu box is. There are still just as I set them up months ago. Using this site (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) I can toogle port 23 open/closed on the router and see the right response via this tester site. With port 21, it is always reported as closed, even after opening the firewall temporarily, deleting and re-creating the setting, enabling/disabling/enabling port 21 and rebooting the TPLink N600 router again. Still no success with FTP, always 'connection refused by server'. Enable/disable/enable of FTP in BH - no difference. It's as iff the Vu box is doing the rejecting of the FTP connection. Transferring files via the web i/f is hopeless, so FTP is critical, unless there is an alternative. [The VU n/w does have an always-on Windows 8 machine - I guess I could set up an FTP server on it, or something....]. Thanks for your interest.

Mick12334

For now I'd stick with 2.1.4, or 2.1.7, until you can find the problem.
Can you try your receiver at another location, it doesn't need to be connected to a satellite dish, to be able to access the receiver, using FileZilla, or other program.
Try downloading DCC, the Dreambox Control Centre:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/dcc-e2-v1-41.3147/

This can check your receivers IP address, all you need to do is start up the dcc_e2 program and click the Suchen option, under Dreambox, followed by Suche, and it should find all devices, on your network, and their IP addresses.

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
For now I'd stick with 2.1.4, or 2.1.7, until you can find the problem.
Can you try your receiver at another location, it doesn't need to be connected to a satellite dish, to be able to access the receiver, using FileZilla, or other program.
Try downloading DCC, the Dreambox Control Centre:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/dcc-e2-v1-41.3147/

This can check your receivers IP address, all you need to do is start up the dcc_e2 program and click the Suchen option, under Dreambox, followed by Suche, and it should find all devices, on your network, and their IP addresses.
The IP address of the Vu box is not in doubt. But, having used this prog with a previous Dreambox (ran faultlessly for seven years!), I got it and ran it, and it confirmed the IP. It also states "FTP component not connected". I'm afraid that moving the box is not possible (or reasonable, given that I am nowhere near it). How can I configure the Vu box to run FTP on a port other than 21? It is suspicious that the router, when tested using the port-tester site, reports that 21 is closed no matter what I do with the router... I suppose I could try with the Vu box switch off, even, to see if 21 continue to give the same response. If it does, then the problem is with the ISP or router (or ddns, since it is being used here).

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
Update: In an effort to see if the Vu box was implicated in the FTP 'connectiion refused' problem, I asked my friend to switch off the box to see if the response was any different. Due to finger trouble, he did a hard re-start (proper power down, then power up) and then I could connect via FTP!!!!! This strongly suggests that it was a Vu problem all along. I then connected and started downloading. But, I am now getting a lot of timeouts.... perhaps due to external factors...
One possible explanation of all this is: user applies update from 2.1.4 to 3.0.2 via usb in normal way; says Yes to 'restore settings' question. BUT - those settings might not be compatible with 3.x, but are half-used (or something), and then saved. User then tries flashing 2.1.4, says Yes again, but the settings by now are in v3.x format (maybe). Result? - settings are no longer totally valid for any version. The next move could be to re-flash with 3.0.2 and opt to NOT restore any settings at all. Network setup etc then has to be done from scratch (I assume recordings remain intact). Is this a likely scenario and way forward? - thanks!

Mick12334

You should never use stored settings backups, with any new build, that's why we kept asking you if you installed any backups.
The only backups, you should use, are your channels, and Bouquets, which you store on your PC, using dreamboxedit, then FTP once you have loaded, and configured, the new version of Blackhole.

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
You should never use stored settings backups, with any new build, that's why we kept asking you if you installed any backups.
The only backups, you should use, are your channels, and Bouquets, which you store on your PC, using dreamboxedit, then FTP once you have loaded, and configured, the new version of Blackhole.
Sorry, but I couldn't be certain if the remote operator even had the option of restoring settings, never mind his response to the option. Next step has to be a flash with v3.0.2, with no restore of anything. Should that have a high chance of working? What about a factory reset - shouldn't be necessary? I'm at the stage where all I care about is returning to stability and not losing recordings.