Can't connect after update

Mick12334

You shouldn't lose recordings, I never have, as they are stored on your hard drive.
You can even access your recordings, via your PC, and copy them onto your PC.

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
An update: the unit was re-flashed with the Oct '16 build of BH 3.0.2 ("2016-10-03-master") with no restore of anything and the n/w, tuners, channels being set up from scratch. This unit now works as expected as far as a standalone unit goes. Network: first the bad news: ports 21 and 23 remain closed to all enquirers, despite the same router previously allowing FTP traffic and no config change there at all. This is baffling. BUT, port 22 is open and at present I CAN connect using putty/ssh - I was able to log in and set the root password, for example, both from a remote location and from a Teamviewer session on a PC on the same internal network. For FTP, I have found that WinSCP works a treat, when used with the SCP protocol. When I tried sftp, I got "Doing startup conversation with host. sh: /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server: No such file or directory". It does not seem to be possible (yet) to use FileZilla to make the connection.
I would be interested to know if FileZilla can be made to work; if this WinSCP/ssh setup is adequate and stable for the future; and also why I still have no success with normal FTP/Telnet. Ok, it might not be the Vu box, as both these ports are reported to be closed when when the Vu box is physically switched off, yet the router firewall has these ports open. It is odd that I can not Telnet from within the Vu box's network ("could not open connection to the host on port 23").

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
I've had a look at that but am not sure how that would help, when done at the remote end (where I am located). The only protocol options for the FTP connection in FZ Site Manager, are FTP and SFTP. When I try SFTP, I get this response:

11:01:53 Status: Connecting to somehwhere.ddns.net...
11:01:53 Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=7
11:01:53 Command: open "root@somehwhere.ddns.net" 22
11:01:59 Command: Trust new Hostkey: Once
11:02:00 Command: Pass: **********
11:02:03 Status: Connected to somehwhere.ddns.net
11:02:03 Error: Received unexpected end-of-file from SFTP server
11:02:03 Error: Could not connect to server

With WinSCP, I get this log:
. 2016-12-31 11:21:24.593 We claim version: SSH-2.0-WinSCP_release_5.9.2
. 2016-12-31 11:21:24.962 Server version: SSH-2.0-dropbear_2014.66
. 2016-12-31 11:21:24.962 We believe remote version has SSH-2 channel request bug
. 2016-12-31 11:21:24.962 Using SSH protocol version 2
. 2016-12-31 11:21:24.963 Have a known host key of type rsa2
. 2016-12-31 11:21:24.963 Doing ECDH key exchange with curve Curve25519 and hash SHA-256
......blah blah
. 2016-12-31 11:21:27.833 Access granted
. 2016-12-31 11:21:27.833 Opening session as main channel
. 2016-12-31 11:21:28.195 Opened main channel
. 2016-12-31 11:21:28.974 Started a shell/command
. 2016-12-31 11:21:29.022 --------------------------------------------------------------------------
. 2016-12-31 11:21:29.022 Using SFTP protocol.
. 2016-12-31 11:21:29.023 Doing startup conversation with host.
! 2016-12-31 11:21:29.023 sh: /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server: No such file or directory
. 2016-12-31 11:21:29.023 Server sent command exit status 127
. 2016-12-31 11:21:29.023 Disconnected: All channels closed
* 2016-12-31 11:21:29.141 (EFatal)

I read here that vsftp is not an sftp server, and various forums suggest running:
opkg install openssh-sftp-server
but, this fails with 'unknown package' and the output of [openpkg list] does not include this openssh... package or anything resembling it. Someone else refers to open-sftp-server but this must be a typo and has the same response.
So, where to get/configure an actual resume-capable SFTP server for Vu+ Duo 2/BH 3.0.2 that either WinSCP or FileZilla will talk to??

NOTE - I have started a new thread on this SFTP question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick12334

Just re-read your first post, as I didn't remember that you're not at the location, of the receiver, so not on the local network.
I don't understand why you're using this set up, but others have complained, about using openwebif, for streaming outside the local network, with newer versions of blackhole, which makes me suspect added security.
You probably need access, to the receiver, and router, to set it up.

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
Just re-read your first post, as I didn't remember that you're not at the location, of the receiver, so not on the local network.
I don't understand why you're using this set up, but others have complained, about using openwebif, for streaming outside the local network, with newer versions of blackhole, which makes me suspect added security.
You probably need access, to the receiver, and router, to set it up.
I don't mind extra security, so long as things continue to work. The web interface is fine, as is putty/ssh. For FTP, WinSCP works too, bu the lack of resume is very bad. The router setup is fine for all those protocols. SFTP seems to promise more in this regard, but, no success with that yet. Thanks.

jasjas

Vu+ Newbie
I have full access really - a TeamViewer session to an always-on PC, and thus the router setup, and a co-operative friend to press buttons when required. For days, ports 21 and 23 were reported as closed, though port 22 was open and so I can now use SSH and SCP.

But, after ALL that....

CONNECTIONS: at one point, I decided to re-boot the Vu box. After that, the port tester reported that port 21 was open! It had been stubbornly closed thus far. I wonder how the Vu box can change the open/closed state of a port? The router was untouched, as were other PCs on the n/w. I can now FTP etc at will.

SFTP: still can't use SFTP, and can't find an SFTP server anywhere. SCP is no good because of resume problems (with WinSCP), so it has to be FTP or SFTP.

ZERO-LENGTH RECORDINGS: this is the problem that kicked off this update from BH 2.x to 3.x. Guess what, they're back. Having got FTP working, and all looking good, the first trial recording was empty. What use is a PVR that doesn't R? Other later test recordings have been ok. It was always a 'random' problem.

I never had any of these problems in Dreambox days, though the input was a satellite signal, as opposed to the DVB-T signal that I am limited to in current circumstances (a signal that is not, in fact, super strong, given the aerial location).
The guy here had similar issues and now swears by Nemesis, so maybe time to give that a shot... However, in this game there are so many variables that who knows what really helped there - maybe just the essential re-boot, and nothing to do with Nemesis! If only there was some real-time logging or monotoring that would allow correletion of something (e.g. aerial signal) with zero-length recordings.