Vu+ Solo4K tested for you!

Kanashii

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for the review. I have some question if you don't mind.
Did you try to play a 265H codec file from usb? There's even HDR demos files from Pi's Life to check the HDR support skipping the use of the HDMI connector. Can you try UHD youtube support?
Thank in advance.

DamacFunkin

Vu+ Newbie
Hello, these are questions that can and will be answered when people get round to testing properly, at the moment there is just so much basic stuff not working properly, but here are my observations on your questions at the moment:
I'm not sure if the Solo4k currently has support for VP9, there has been no mention of it in the specs, this is the codec used for 4k UHD files on Youtube, any files you play on youtube that say 4k or UHD are actually only upscaled 1080p unless you have a VP9 device.
I believe that the Solo4k is already HDMI 2.0a enabled out of the box, i switched my Samsung set to UHD colour and ended up with massive green saturation and had to change colour space to Native, this is the same behaviour people in the USA are getting when streaming HDR from M-GO or Amazon so i believe that the box maybe already HDR enabled.
P.S. even if you load the H265 Life Of Pi clip onto USB, the HDMI would still need to be HDMI 2.0a to play the file back from the box with correct transmission of metadata, wouldn't it?

Ev0

Admin
HDR content will playback on a non HDR supported device from my understanding, however colours will be dull compared to none HDR content.

As for UHD demo's, i've tried some .ts files that work fine, and some .mp4's, some of the .mp4's played fine, and others only played audio, but no idea what they are encoded with, bitrates etc etc.

Kanashii

Vu+ Newbie
P.S. even if you load the H265 Life Of Pi clip onto USB, the HDMI would still need to be HDMI 2.0a to play the file back from the box with correct transmission of metadata, wouldn't it?
True, sorry I mixed it with HDR's TV that obviously can play HDR content without HDMI directly. Ignore my statement and thanks for pointing it.

HDR content will playback on a non HDR supported device from my understanding, however colours will be dull compared to none HDR content.

As for UHD demo's, i've tried some .ts files that work fine, and some .mp4's, some of the .mp4's played fine, and others only played audio, but no idea what they are encoded with, bitrates etc etc.
Thanks for your test. Obviously this device is the top one on SAT boxes so no doubt it will perfom great as SAT device. I'm interested on media player potential as well as I need a unified media center. I already have a Vu+ duo2 and the only consideration to exchange it is the HDR / UHD support on both SAT and media as future proof device.

DamacFunkin

Vu+ Newbie
Morning Sir, yes thats why i said with correct transmission of the metadata..
Anyway, exciting times certainly.

DamacFunkin

Vu+ Newbie
EvO, have you been able to use remote stream channel converter with the box successfully?
I have tried it both ways between Solo4k and Duo2 / Solo2 and although you can download the bouqets successfully the channel just times out and gives data on pat error.
between duo2 and solo2 is fine.

Ev0

Admin
EvO, have you been able to use remote stream channel converter with the box successfully?
I have tried it both ways between Solo4k and Duo2 / Solo2 and although you can download the bouqets successfully the channel just times out and gives data on pat error.
between duo2 and solo2 is fine.
I have only done a quick test, but it works on a Duo1 with the Solo4k being the server, and also works with Solo4k being client and the Duo2 being the server.

Kanashii

Vu+ Newbie
Just waiting for a long user review (with all kind of test) to pull the trigger... I'm not sure if I will wait so long.

enrico001uk

Vu+ Newbie
My solo 4k arrives tomorrow and I need to know if the twin dvb-c works with this box as I Would like a cable compatible twin tuner pvr.
Not to get confused with the single tuner hybrid dvb-c.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Ev0

Admin
Does anyone know if and when a blackhole image will be out for vu4k
I know.

There will be (so thats the "if" bit covered)
The when is, when we are happy that it is ready to be released :)

We never give a time frame for releases.

DamacFunkin

Vu+ Newbie
I know.

There will be (so thats the "if" bit covered)
The when is, when we are happy that it is ready to be released :)

We never give a time frame for releases.
i understand you don't like to give time frames, but is it to do with getting some of the features working, such as crossepg?