How to setup your Vu+ for recording on USB

Mito

Administrator
How to setup your Vu+ box for recording on an usb stick or on another device connected to an usb port.

Mount your usb stick by Devices Manager as /media/usb
Blue Panel > Black Hole Settings > Devices Manager > Mountpoints ...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

By a software FTP or by telnet
create a folder named movie on your usb stick: /media/usb/movie

Enable Expert mode in Customize menu:
Menu > Setup > System > Customize > Setup Mode: Expert

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Change the default paths for recondings:
open theRecordings Pathspanel
Menu > Setup > System > Recording Path

09.jpg

Select the item Default movie location and press the OK button
then press the Menu button and select the item Switch to filelist
now you will be able to navigate through the directories and to select the path
/media/usb/movie by pressing the green button

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

After you pressed the green button and returned to the Recordings Paths panel
select the item Timer record location by pressing the OK button
and select the path /media/usb/movie by pressing the arrow down button
then press the OK button to save and to return to Recordings Paths panel

15.jpg

16.jpg

Select the item Instant record location by pressing the OK button
and select the path /media/usb/movie by pressing the arrow down button
then press the OK button to save and to return to Recordings Paths panel

17.jpg

18.jpg

select the item Timeshift location and press the OK button
then press the Menu button and select the item Switch to filelist
navigate through the directories and select the path /media/usb/movie by pressing the green button

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Now you will return to the Recordings Paths panel and you have to press the green button to save all the setting and to exit from the panel.

23.jpg

Enjoy your Vu+

Mark Tanti

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,
I have mounted my HDD at the back, however when I go to 'Devices Manager' my HDD is not visable.
Is there any problem?
Also when I am watching a channel and press the red button it says 'NO HDD FOUND OR HDD NOT INITIALIZED'.
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks

b1gz

Vu+ Newbie
hi guy everything was working fine for me until today as i tried to install meboot. Here's my setup:
VU+ uno + External USB (NTFS) at higher slot on the back then wifi dongle at lower slot + usb stick formated with vu+

now i could record on the external hdd fine used this
# harddisk.sh
#! /bin/sh
# Ecrire sur un disque dur formaté en NTFS (USB)
path=/sbin:/bin:/user/sbin:/usr/bin:
umount /media/hdd
ntfs-3g /dev/sda1/media/hdd
#
to be able to use NTFS with the VU. Now what i did today
mapped the USB stick on the front to install meoboot and mounted it as /meoboot and /media usb/ as i have 2 partitions.

The result is i can't use the external HDD to record or download CROSS EPG to it

i get a message saying"in order to record a timer the receiver needs to switch to the channel" but its an instant record and it does not record anything

hicham2u

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,

I mounted my external Ntfs Hdd following the tutorial but it's mounted as read only. any help please to mount it in read/write mode

hicham2u

Vu+ Newbie
Hi ilmago,
thanks for your reply, but trying to apply chmod 775 didn't work (the telnet message was read only entry or something like this).i
experienced to unmount the drive and mount it with this command [ntfs-3g /dev/disk/byuuuid/xxxx /media/hdd] work and i can record movie on my external hdd but if i restart the receiver it mount it by the default type ntfs not ntfs3g and i can't record.
in vix image the same hdd is mounted correctly. i don't understand why the bh image 1.7.6 didn't munt the ntfs hdd with the ntfs-3g by default. any help please.

niglou

BH Lover
I think you must write your command in /etc/fstab ; If you just send a command through telnet, it is normal that on a new boot the vu+ does not remember your command.

hicham2u

Vu+ Newbie
I think you must write your command in /etc/fstab ; If you just send a command through telnet, it is normal that on a new boot the vu+ does not remember your command.

I tried to modify the fstab file to set the type of the HDD as ntfs-3g following this thread [http://www.vuplus-community.net/boa...b-hdd-with-media-on-vu-solo.3051/#post-25134] but it did'nt work.
Here is what i did :

First test :
- changed Fstab "/dev/sda1 /media/hdd ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8 0 0"
- Reboot the box
-> Result the disk is mounted as Read only.

Second test
-by telnet i execute those commands :
-umount /dev/sda1​
-modprobe fuse​
-ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/hdd​
-> Result the HDD i mounted in Read Write Mode but if i restart the box i have to re-execute the commands by telnet (not a good solution).

I don't know how i can modify my fstab to force the mount of the hdd as RW with the ntfs-3g instead of ntfs (ro)

bartjunited

Vu+ Newbie
i have a vu solo do i need to do this to record to my ext hdd
at the moment i just inserted yhe hdd into yhe box and went to set uo and harddizk and asked it to initialize is that ok

hicham2u

Vu+ Newbie
i have a vu solo do i need to do this to record to my ext hdd
at the moment i just inserted yhe hdd into yhe box and went to set uo and harddizk and asked it to initialize is that ok

Hi bart,

if your hdd is empty you can initialize it with your receiver to ext3. or ext4 format. Then you will be able to record media to it directly. But if your hdd is in NTFS, then you need the workaround to be able to record movie on it.

Remember that you need to set the recording path to your newly hdd before to be able to record movie on it.

and last advice but not the least, if you set the recording path to hdd/movie, you need to have a directory named movie in the root of your hdd.

good luck.