Duo / DuoLE Vu-duo is Dead

DOUGALMCD

Vu+ Newbie
Some times I can come downstairs in the morning and my Duo is stuck in standby. I find that a quick switch off at the back and back on again after a min or so cures all (I might have to download CrossEPG again to get all my EPG again sorted) this might be about once a week. Could this be a hardware fault or some software problem. I dont have my EPG set up for downloads at night time when in standby I do it myself when needed. My Duo was bought new and is 3 years and 3 days old

Sounds like capacitor on it's way out needing replaced c807. hth

riomaster

Vu+ Newbie
Is just the capacitor, I was repaired one vu+duo and was like new, if you are not repaired that, i can help you ...

Mila

Administrator
Probably other componets out
C 807
U 801 switching PWM NCP3170ADR2G, 3 mA, Regolabile, 0,8 V, 550 kHz, SOIC, 8-Pin

limki

Vu+ Newbie
I'm not sure my problem relates, but
I've had my VU+Duo running VTi ("experimental" ~ 3.0 ) since I bought it in 2011 without any issue
now that I got my zero, I wanted to look into network tuner sharing, which is actually the only reason I wound go for newer FW (it was THAT good/stable)
so I did the bootloader update, flash VTi 8, set it up, and after a couple of hours .... hang (first the image froze, and after a few seconds sound goes completely) ... no dump appeared on the usual place, green diode flashes on remote input and no choice but unplug/flip the switch
I tried monitoring RAM usage, add SWAP, check original fan, remove box + "mount" a 12cm fan over CPU heatsink (was getting finger-burning hot) & tuner, redo bootloader, FW, blackhole, PLi, the result is still the same ... run for 30m - 1hr - 6hrs (occasionally), then hang & repeat
Just by coincidence, I still had the original VTi and since flashing it ~ 10 days ago, no hangs (box still open with 12cm fan)
How come? Do I have a clone that can't handle new kernels? Do some hardware flaws only manifest on newer FW? Could this be caused by C807 too?

Last edited:

Mick12334

Try a quick search, of the forum, looking for memory useage and swap files. as the newer images use more resources, than older receivers can manage.
Unfortunately I have to go back to work and can't get back to a PC until after 6, so can't help further until later.

snagsboson

Vu+ Newbie
Just bought a second hand vu duo for my father in law. Upon first set up the red light was on with a blank display. Switched off and on at the back switch and it sprung into life. However, the picture glitches badly, every few seconds. I can confirm that the LNB and connections are ok as I set it up on the connections that usually run my vu solo2 and that runs faultlessly.

I am wondering if the intermittent red light on boot up and glitching picture are early signs of C 807 failure? I have read the whole thread and if it was just the intermittent red light I'd be sure but no one has mentioned glitching.

The fan does come on when the box boots up but doesn't when we have a red light induced failed start.

Anyone any thoughts or advice?

DOUGALMCD

Vu+ Newbie
Just bought a second hand vu duo for my father in law. Upon first set up the red light was on with a blank display. Switched off and on at the back switch and it sprung into life. However, the picture glitches badly, every few seconds. I can confirm that the LNB and connections are ok as I set it up on the connections that usually run my vu solo2 and that runs faultlessly.

I am wondering if the intermittent red light on boot up and glitching picture are early signs of C 807 failure? I have read the whole thread and if it was just the intermittent red light I'd be sure but no one has mentioned glitching.

The fan does come on when the box boots up but doesn't when we have a red light induced failed start.

Anyone any thoughts or advice?

The box should start easily if not the cap could be start of a problem. You shouldn't have to switch something on twice. hth

dr_doll

Vu+ Newbie
Actually I repaired my Vu Duo box. The C807 capacitor seemed to be OK. There was not bulging. I change it by new one and check the parameters of old capacitor. My box is now working like new.

Attachments

• IMG_20150517_143250.jpg
    IMG_20150517_143250.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 165

skywave

Vu+ Newbie
Just changed the C807 capacitor on 2 VU+ DUO boxes. They both "died" with only the red light showing and when pressing the On/Off button on the remote the red light showed a little bit of intensifying, but that's all.

So I took the advice brought forward by other members in here - went to my electronics store and bought 2 Capacitors 330 uF 35 V 105 Celcius @ 0.40 EUr each - plus a busticket @ 2 Eur :)

Back home I removed the cover of the boxes.

On the first box I unscrewed everything and took out the MB to better see what I was doing.
First I tilted the old capacitor a little bit backwards - straightened the two legs/strands a bit and then clipped them as close to the base of the old capacitor as possible.
Then it was just a matter of carefully soldering the two legs of the new capacitor to their respective position of the remains of the old legs sticking up - just be sure to match the grey half of the circle on the MB to the correct leg of the capacitor.
The second box I left the MB in the box and did the same procedure as above.
20150601_174801.jpg
20150601_174354.jpg

Last edited:

skywave

Vu+ Newbie
..ohh - I forgot to mention - in my post above:
Both boxes started up perfectly after the operation :) Works just like new again :)

webstart

Vu+ Newbie
hello, in my case, C807 wasn't enough. I has also to replace both capacitors near C807 ( also put 330 µF 16v) and the 1000 µF behind.
now, is everything fine !

demetris

Vu+ User
Eventually you will need to replace and the ones on the power supply.

Στάλθηκε από το GT-I9300 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

danyul organ

Vu+ Newbie
Hi all,

Does anyone know any repairer in the UK that has the skills/equipment to replace both the capacitors and regulator? I've been searching for one without much success. I found one place on Tottenham Court road, but they want £50 just to replace the regulator (with me supplying the regulator myself)

Thanks